Montana spring bear hunt region 1

Jsnyder11

Hi everyone. New to the site and had some questions about a spring bear hunt. I’ve been doings tons of research, internet scouting with aerial maps and gathering all the info I can from other forum discussions. I have it narrowed down to unit 106 and 108. Figuring I would start in unit 106 since I have some knowledge of the jewel basin area from backpacking there this summer. My main questions were the accessing the land. Is it as easy as just finding a parking area and hiking in old logging roads and ridges to get to where you want to go? I am not used to the free roaming public land Montana has to offer because it is vastly different from New York. Planning this trip for either the 2nd or 3rd week or May. Weather depending. Thanks in advanced for all of your help.

Attachments

• C4CC6930-62EF-43B5-B6C1-B8AB35793D1F.jpeg
    C4CC6930-62EF-43B5-B6C1-B8AB35793D1F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
Thought so. Thanks. As much as I'm into rug farming, I've never done a spring hunt. We don't have them out here, and whenever I see one on YouTube, I can't help but notice that the bugs are hell.

Hi everyone. New to the site and had some questions about a spring bear hunt. I’ve been doings tons of research, internet scouting with aerial maps and gathering all the info I can from other forum discussions. I have it narrowed down to unit 106 and 108. Figuring I would start in unit 106 since I have some knowledge of the jewel basin area from backpacking there this summer. My main questions were the accessing the land. Is it as easy as just finding a parking area and hiking in old logging roads and ridges to get to where you want to go? I am not used to the free roaming public land Montana has to offer because it is vastly different from New York. Planning this trip for either the 2nd or 3rd week or May. Weather depending. Thanks in advanced for all of your help.
Hey Bud (VT Hunter here) I'll be in MT. May 12-22nd. We were originally going to stay In the Swan Valley and hunt the Flat Head National Forest Basin. We changed our location to the Idaho / Montana border because of all the Grizz attacks this year, and the fact that a lot of the trapped Grizz are relocated to this area.
The other thing worth mentioning is several MT State Parks, National Parks list closed / open road notices. You could acces of NF-5339 Coming in from the Hungry Horse Reservoir, but you will need to check for road closures this road opens mid./late May. Otherwise I'm sure you know you can access off the Jewel Basin Rd.

Gonna be watching this one as I'm hoping to do a spring black bear hunt.

What have you been using for your e-scouting? I have OnX, but have been tempted to try goHunt for some of the added features and info they have.

Hey bud PM me I got some inside information today from the former Biologist over the Koot., he oversaw 2.1 million acres in NW MT., and gave me some good intel.

Hey Bud (VT Hunter here) I'll be in MT. May 12-22nd. ... You could acces of NF-5339 Coming in from the Hungry Horse Reservoir, but you will need to check for road closures this road opens mid./late May. Otherwise I'm sure you know you can access off the Jewel Basin Rd.

It seems like you're looking elsewhere at this time, but for anyone thinking about parking up at the Jewel Basin lot, it is worth keeping an eye on the Noisy Basin Snotel. Historically there is just under 3 feet of snow up there at the end of May.

It seems like you're looking elsewhere at this time, but for anyone thinking about parking up at the Jewel Basin lot, it is worth keeping an eye on the Noisy Basin Snotel. Historically there is just under 3 feet of snow up there at the end of May.
Ya right now it shows 98 inches. In the Seeley area at the jocko snotel we have 90 inches at 6330 elevation. The FS roads open on May 1st but often remain closed because of snow or soft road beds. Late May is your best time.

Tagging In. Planning on hunting in Swan mid May. My son lives in Kalispell.

Jay

Ya right now it shows 98 inches. In the Seeley area at the jocko snotel we have 90 inches at 6330 elevation. The FS roads open on May 1st but often remain closed because of snow or soft road beds. Late May is your best time.
Thanks for the updates guys this helps.

I live in unit 106 and have had a medium sized black bear tipping over my garbage can for the last two weeks. Basically, many side-drainage logging roads on the Flathead National Forest are gated near the main access roads. These gates mean no motors, but the roads are open to mountain bicycles and foot traffic. If you are willing to use the quads God gave you, you should have plenty of country to choose from. Use your maps to try to find a road that leads to good view points. Lots of trees in the way of glassing, so this is not as easy as it may sound. Plus you may have to do a lot of climbing to get good elevation. But old logging roads and cutting units are heavily used by bears. Bears are most active in the evening and morning. If you see a content bear feeding in the evening, he will likely be around for a day or two unless he catches wind of you. Use your glasses more than your legs once you get a good viewpoint. Look for early green up and wet areas with streams and seeps. (our bears are mostly eating grass early, if they're not in the trash cans.) And take some time to study the FWP site about bear identification. Every year someone screws the pooch and mistakenly kills a grizzly, which sucks for all involved. Also be careful not to shoot a female with cubs. Watching the wind is the NO. 1 thing stalking bears. They can literally smell you a half mile away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back