Montana shoulder seasons

I don't really know how to reply to such a dumb question. The point is that the elk simply move to public land during the shoulder seasons because they are safe there. Do you need further explanation?
You do understand that’s the point of the shoulder season, right?

I don’t have the time to search for links but google Montana elk shoulder seasons and go back to when they were created and you will learn everything you don’t know about them.

Many of us have battled their existence every since they were created.

Last edited:

I don’t have the time to search for links but google Montana elk shoulder seasons and go back to when they were created and you will learn everything you don’t know about them.

If moving elk to public land was the point of shoulder seasons, I could get behind them.
I am thinking that the reason for shoulder seasons is more along the lines of some landowners need some an extra season to deal with too may cow elk because dealing with the cows during the five week general season gets in the way of the bull hunters.

I know everything about them, and I've even hunted during the shoulder season a couple times--oh the horror!

And you're only half right about the point of the shoulder seasons. The other reason they were created was to reduce cow elk numbers. In that regard I think it's safe to say they have failed, for the reasons I stated above in an effort to answer somebody's question about whether it's worth planning a Montana hunt during the shoulder season.

Perhaps if you could tell me exactly what you're trying to start an argument about then I could be more accommodating.

Last edited:
Lots of feedback, some off topic a bit, but interesting to know what folks thought are on these late season hunts, reasoning, objectives, etc, so thanks. Bottom line is that I guess I will not be looking at flights for Jan/Feb to elk hunt.

I’m going to disagree with the general gyst of the comments. I think if you do your research, the shoulder seasons could be a good meat elk hunt. You shouldn’t see a ton of people. Montana is a big state. I would start by figuring out where you might be able to get access to private lands that provide wintering grounds. Call fwp in the region offices and inquire. Lots of hunters trying to shame other hunters for participating in legal seasons. Montanas seasons are ridiculous but that’s not the hunters fault. If you don’t agree with the seasons make sure you let your fwp commissioner know, the director, the governor, your local legislators , etc.

If you don’t agree with the seasons make sure you let your fwp commissioner know, the director, the governor, your local legislators , etc.
Gee, Gosh ... someone should have come up with that idea at the inception of the lengthy August through February elk reduction program (AKA: shoulder season) several years ago ! :rolleyes:

Where you from; where you been during this contentious debacle, rogerthat?

Gee, Gosh ... someone should have come up with that idea at the inception of the lengthy August through February elk reduction program (AKA: shoulder season) several years ago ! :rolleyes:

Where you from; where you been during this contentious debacle, rogerthat?
Montana and submitted my comments loud and clear against the seasons every chance I could. That’s really all we can do. It’s an open season now. I say folks should go do it if they want.

Edit: also a few on here can drop the ego. I appreciate all the efforts made by folks in support of wildlife and trying to get Montana to do the right thing. Don’t assume you’re the only ones.

I’m going to disagree with the general gyst of the comments. I think if you do your research, the shoulder seasons could be a good meat elk hunt. You shouldn’t see a ton of people. Montana is a big state. I would start by figuring out where you might be able to get access to private lands that provide wintering grounds. Call fwp in the region offices and inquire. Lots of hunters trying to shame other hunters for participating in legal seasons. Montanas seasons are ridiculous but that’s not the hunters fault. If you don’t agree with the seasons make sure you let your fwp commissioner know, the director, the governor, your local legislators , etc.

What I see around my area is the accessible lands open for hunting during the shoulder season generally have someone hunting it daily. Sure those elk might make a mistake and venture off creating a possible opportunity to get one. Without access to a private ranch that is harboring the elk or having an "in" somewhere, the chances of the average hunter finding a cow is pretty slim.

I appreciate hearing the other side of things for sure, and that there are opportunities. My archery elk hunt in MT was a blast, and I'm still trying to scratch that itch, even though this would be a totally different beast.

I don't mind cold and deep snow hunting, and part of this open country hunting (which is what it sounds like it is) where glassing is going to totally be key, sounds really appealing. However, considering flights, rental, and probably not being able to stay in my floorless tipi in Jan/Feb, cost add up and really start overshadow the reward. Also, I'd be solo and prefer a partner for this type of hunt. Having someone to toss ideas at while putting the miles on or in the evening, is a big factor. Most other hunts I don't mind being solo, so maybe I'm just being a wuss.

I appreciate hearing the other side of things for sure, and that there are opportunities. My archery elk hunt in MT was a blast, and I'm still trying to scratch that itch, even though this would be a totally different beast.

I don't mind cold and deep snow hunting, and part of this open country hunting (which is what it sounds like it is) where glassing is going to totally be key, sounds really appealing. However, considering flights, rental, and probably not being able to stay in my floorless tipi in Jan/Feb, cost add up and really start overshadow the reward. Also, I'd be solo and prefer a partner for this type of hunt. Having someone to toss ideas at while putting the miles on or in the evening, is a big factor. Most other hunts I don't mind being solo, so maybe I'm just being a wuss.
As was suggested, make a few phone calls to the FWP regional biologists. They'll be straight with you about what the realistic possibilities are in their areas during the shoulder season. Won't cost you anything but a few minutes of your time, and who knows, maybe it'll lead to something.

The Shoulder Season is a another one of the many jokes in the face of the MT FWP. We call it the Landowner Friends & Family hunt. It’s a special season for just the land owners BFF’s!👎🏻
Exactly. That was my conclusion. They get extra tags to fill their freezers, yet they bitch and moan that the elk are eating their hay piles. Wah wah wah.

Last edited:
Down paradise valley this morning looking at an upcoming job in the spring and saw at least half dozen elk on flatbeds. Sad

Shot I’m sure . And yes before you attack anyone the season is open in 314 north of rock creek off of public land
Why would I attack anyone? I was looking just to try an get an understanding of potential opportunities.

Back