NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Montana Rut 2011

Day 4 payoff

Yes, John, I do have a nice personality! And I clean up well.

On the morning of day 4, my last day, I was allowed to roam any of zones 2 thru 6. This was great as I had not previously hunted in #2 and really wanted to check some of those draws for some mating deer. Dennis, Mark and Stan concentrated their efforts in zones 6 and 7. I was done and back to the ranch by 9:00, let me explain.

I left the ranch and went into zone 2 on a road I suspected would bring me above the large cottonwood draw near the creek. I needed to go straight north but the road kept angling to the west. I was getting more and more fustrated as the trees began to receed to my left and the sun was rising. Soon I was heading straight west. I had a decision to make, go on to the west or reverse course and try a new approach.As corny as it sounds, I figured 'if God wants me to go this way, I'll go!" I drove on thru the zone all the while keeping an eye on m rear-view and wondering if I'd made a mistake.At last I turned to the right at the top of a draw and saw the top of the cottonwood draw before me!
I sat there for perhaps 5 minutes as the sun gave light to the many small draws that funnelled down into the creek. I got out my binoculars and my spotting scope and did a quick sweep-nothing.
I placed my scope and binos down and put the truck into gear and as I took my foot off the brake I checked my rear view mirror. Not IN it, but right ABOVE it I saw a doe standing some 90 yards away on a small ridge. I placed the truck in park and rolled down the window and turned it off. And waited. Soon more does got up, then an unusual 4x1 with a broken main beam-nice on 1 side but not a shootable buck this early on the last day.
I got out of my truck and waited with binos and spotter at the ready. I could see a dozen does and another tiny buck. The larger buck was pacing back and forth at the top of the ridge with his ears down and neck outstretched in classic aggressive behavior. I could only see 1 smaller buck but thought naybe another was out of sight over the ridge. I got my gear and moved down around the point of the ridge. a doe, another doe, a small buck, a bigger buck! Then, a nice mature buck stepped out of a crease in the sage and into the sunlight. I had a simple 100 yard shot at a deer quartering away and downhill. I raised my rifle offhand and fired 1 shot, breaking his back and sending him back into the crease.
The other deer moved up the ridge about 250 yards and layed back down! I had only one crease to cross as I approached my deer. Suddenly a monster buck erupted at my feet and SLOWLY trotted away towards the other deer. His rack extended a full 5 inches beyond his antlers on both sides and then straight up so that, from behind, it looked like he had a 36" box on his head-without a doubt the largest live buck I have ever seen. For just a moment I thought he might be my buck but in my heart I knew my hunt was over so I watched him join and lay down with the does just up the ridge.
I found my buck in the next cut, under a small green tree,laying in what was probably last night's bed.
That is always a difficult time for me. I often sit near the animal and ponder the universe. I like to view the world from his perspective and many of my photos include that. I try to decide-why this spot? in an effort to increase my understanding and effectivness. At length I do finally get down to the business of taking photos and doing the dirty work. It is with great pride and yet profound reverence that I reduce an animal to my possession-I prefer to do this alone.
I finally had the deer loaded and drove to the ranch with the sun in my eyes and a smile on my face. The day was not nearly over,I needed to hang my deer and then find somebody to harvest the big one...

Attachments

• P1010030.jpg
    P1010030.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 510
  • P1010031.jpg
    P1010031.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 502
  • P1010037.jpg
    P1010037.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 511
  • P1010039.jpg
    P1010039.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 514
That is a great buck, congrats. Very good job on the story telling and picture taking also.

That is a really awesome buck. If the other one was that much bigger he must've been a monster.
Congrats.

Back