Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Regs for Resident

peterk1234

Can somebody direct me to a place that breaks down what, where, how many, etc., a resident can hunt? I am trying my hardest to get through the Montana regs but I am either really dumb or it is complicated as heck. I need a cliff notes version so I can at least begin to understand what I am reading. Much appreciated. Pete

I believe I read your intro the other day. If you plan on hunting this fall you’ll need to apply for a non resident tags as you have to have lived here for 180 days be your able to claim residencey.

I believe I read your intro the other day. If you plan on hunting this fall you’ll need to apply for a non resident tags as you have to have lived here for 180 days be your able to claim residencey.
Good memory. This year will be just a year of scouting and learning the lay of the land. I want to spend as much time in 2021 getting familiar with my surroundings and what I can access. Well, and a lot of fishing. I am planning for 2022.

What is your question?
As a resident we can purchase general licenses including fishing and apply for special permits in March

Does the general plus the required tags to go after a specific species allow me to hunt anywhere in the state, excluding only some special draw areas that are closed to general hunting? Or am I limited to a zone?

I am not sure about "B" licenses. Not even sure what question to ask.

Sorry to sound so stupid but this is so different from where I am coming from.

I probably have many more questions, but at this point I do not know what I do not know.

I'm not sure if the regulation book for 2021 has been printed yet (if not, it might be available in a PDF online), but it's really not that complicated if you have that to refer to. Maps show the district boundaries. Each district has it's own section in the regs that describes what a general tag can be used for, whether B tags are available, etc. Once you start looking I think you'll find it pretty easy to figure out.

If you just moved here then by my math 180 days would be in September. If you wanted to hunt a general tag unit for deer or elk just wait until your 180 days is up and then purchase a general deer and general elk license. You won’t be able to apply for any permits this year as that deadline is April 1, and you have to have purchased the licenses by then in order to apply.
I would recommend looking at the unit maps in the regs for close to where you live. Not sure where that is, but you could very easily have units surrounding you that only require a “license” to hunt. I like to think of MT as some units you just need a “license” while others require a “license and a permit” for that area. If you want to hunt an area that just requires a license, buy one 180 days after you moved here and go hunt!

If you just moved here then by my math 180 days would be in September. If you wanted to hunt a general tag unit for deer or elk just wait until your 180 days is up and then purchase a general deer and general elk license. You won’t be able to apply for any permits this year as that deadline is April 1, and you have to have purchased the licenses by then in order to apply.
I would recommend looking at the unit maps in the regs for close to where you live. Not sure where that is, but you could very easily have units surrounding you that only require a “license” to hunt. I like to think of MT as some units you just need a “license” while others require a “license and a permit” for that area. If you want to hunt an area that just requires a license, buy one 180 days after you moved here and go hunt!
Correct, but in his other posting or intro he mentioned they are six months from moving here. So before finding out he was planning on 2022 he’d still need to go the NR route.

Correct, but in his other posting or intro he mentioned they are six months from moving here. So before finding out he was planning on 2022 he’d still need to go the NR route.
Ah I see. You’re correct. I was thinking he just moved here. Should have read the into post first!

I'm not sure if the regulation book for 2021 has been printed yet (if not, it might be available in a PDF online), but it's really not that complicated if you have that to refer to. Maps show the district boundaries. Each district has it's own section in the regs that describes what a general tag can be used for, whether B tags are available, etc. Once you start looking I think you'll find it pretty easy to figure out.

2021 regs halfway down on the following link: https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/regulations

There's lots of options for B tags, some are good for single hunting districts, a few districts, and others good for entire regions. Some are a bit more limited (FS or not) and others are pretty broad.

Does the general plus the required tags to go after a specific species allow me to hunt anywhere in the state, excluding only some special draw areas that are closed to general hunting? Or am I limited to a zone?

I am not sure about "B" licenses. Not even sure what question to ask.

Sorry to sound so stupid but this is so different from where I am coming from.

I probably have many more questions, but at this point I do not know what I do not know.
As a resident
1: general deer and general elk let you hunt anywhere in state except for Limited Entry districts. Each district has its own rules for what can be taken with general license.
2: B licenses are usually cow or doe tags
3: there are conservation license, fishing license, and state lands, that tack on more fees.

Whether online or with regulations in hand, read, read, read. You will have more questions answered than you even realized you could have.
You will then know what you do not now know and much more.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back