Caribou Gear

Montana Preference Point Expiration MT HB637

Here is what $150/year at GoHunt gets you! LolView attachment 229002
This is why I was always under the assumption that you could purchase a point and then would have to apply the following year. I was really on top of the montana general combo system and now am questioning it all haha 😂

I'm curious if anyone has their preference point balance updated on their fwp account. I did not apply for a combo license or buy a preference point last year (2021). I did not enter the draw this past spring (2022) but did buy a PP in September with the plan of entering the draw next spring (2023). As of right now the website correctly displays my bonus point totals, including the points I just purchased in September, but it shows that I have zero preference points. Anybody else seeing this?

Who thinks going into 2023 it will be better to have 0 points than 2? Seeing how many will have 3 this year it should be interesting to say the least. Trying to decide by the 31st if I should purchase a point now and another in the spring going in to have 2, or just go in with 0.

Who thinks going into 2023 it will be better to have 0 points than 2? Seeing how many will have 3 this year it should be interesting to say the least. Trying to decide by the 31st if I should purchase a point now and another in the spring going in to have 2, or just go in with 0.
I don't see a guy having good odds either way myself.

? Was 74% draw with 0 points last year and 97% with 2 . So should be about the same I’d guess . Be Very few with 3 pp .
How many guys are planning a hunt this year and bought two points last year you think and sat on the sideline? May be more than we think. I won't have my name in either hat once again this year sadly.

How many guys are planning a hunt this year and bought two points last year you think and sat on the sideline? May be more than we think. I won't have my name in either hat once again this year sadly.
You can't buy 2 points in a year. Only way you get 2 is if you go with an outfitter you can purchase an extra one when you apply.

You can't buy 2 points in a year. Only way you get 2 is if you go with an outfitter you can purchase an extra one when you apply.

If you’re sitting at zero you can buy one point by the end of the day today then another come application deadline in a few months. Thus go into the draw with 2.

Reactions: LCH
If you’re sitting at zero you can buy one point by the end of the day today then another come application deadline in a few months. Thus go into the draw with 2.
I realize that the comment from @brownbear932008 stated how many bought 2 points last year. That is not possible to do. You can only buy 1 point a year. Again unless you apply with an outfitter you can buy a point today and then get 2 when you apply.

So anyone who had 2 points last year and "sat on the sidelines" would lose their points bc you need to apply. Example someone bought a point in '21 and then buys one today, but didn't apply for a tag in '22 they would've lost their point from '21.

I realize that the comment from @brownbear932008 stated how many bought 2 points last year. That is not possible to do. You can only buy 1 point a year. Again unless you apply with an outfitter you can buy a point today and then get 2 when you apply.

So anyone who had 2 points last year and "sat on the sidelines" would lose their points bc you need to apply. Example someone bought a point in '21 and then buys one today, but didn't apply for a tag in '22 they would've lost their point from '21.
Yeah I think you are correct I must admit I'm not really up on or researched the whole outfitter 2 point deal that passed. I've pretty much made my mind up to stay out of that draw process and just sit on my preference points unless something changes.

Yeah I think you are correct I must admit I'm not really up on or researched the whole outfitter 2 point deal that passed. I've pretty much made my mind up to stay out of that draw process and just sit on my preference points unless something changes.
You can’t sit on pref points ….

I've hunted bull elk in MT 6 of the last 7 years. Feels weird but I'm not applying this year and considering not even buying a preference point either. Lots of great experiences but I've got enough points to keep me busy elsewhere for a while and their clusterfook of a separated PP/BP system, $100 point fees, and declining hunt quality is finally making it less enticing to play there.

I've hunted bull elk in MT 6 of the last 7 years. Feels weird but I'm not applying this year and considering not even buying a preference point either. Lots of great experiences but I've got enough points to keep me busy elsewhere for a while and their clusterfook of a separated PP/BP system, $100 point fees, and declining hunt quality is finally making it less enticing to play there.

Amen to that man I began hunting there in or around 99 or so I think. Just hasn't been appealing to me for several years now. I'll continue the goat and sheep game maybe burn my antelope points eventually.

Back