Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana October Black Bear Food Source

Gabriel Grimm

Hello All,
I plan on hunting black bear this October in the flathead mountains of Montana. I am new to the area and bears in general. I have done some research and I have noticed everyone saying to look for where the food is. What kind of food will these bear be eating in early to mid October and what elevation should I be searching.
Many thanks, Gabriel

Hello All,
I plan on hunting black bear this October in the flathead mountains of Montana. I am new to the area and bears in general. I have done some research and I have noticed everyone saying to look for where the food is. What kind of food will these bear be eating in early to mid October and what elevation should I be searching.
Many thanks, Gabriel
Same thing as the tourists, huckleberries.

I'm far from a guru at hunting bears… The area you are looking at is my backyard. However, for Montana, I would imagine it would be relatively the same for fall.

My average Joe hunter experience, I tend to focus on berries. Usually along springs, small creeks, fresh timber cuts, and scree slopes.
Main focus is on berries.

I'm far from a guru at hunting bears… The area you are looking at is my backyard. However, for Montana, I would imagine it would be relatively the same for fall.

My average Joe hunter experience, I tend to focus on berries. Usually along springs, small creeks, fresh timber cuts, and scree slopes.
Main focus is on berries.
Should I still focus on berries in October or will that season be over?

Don't see to many October bear piles, in that country, that don't have Mountain ash berries. It also should be stated that there will be a grizzly bear or two roaming those hills, make sure you know the difference before the attempt to harvest.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know if these food sources would be similar for Colorado bears as well?

Back