MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana mule deer rant

I know… you’re exactly right. Thank you for not being condescending.. I must remember God gave us two eyes two ears and only one Mouth for a reason.. to look and listen twice as much as we speak… I’ll shut up.. analyze and interpret.. 🍻

I must ask though, If I went out and got lucky enough to get close enough to shoot my very first bull with a muzzleloader, would I be up schitts creek for pounding the elk too long? or would I be congratulated…? Should I feel bad for the elk or what people might think? This is an honest question..
I wouldn't (feel bad).
Everyone thinks its a slam dunk.
It isnt.

I wouldn't (feel bad).
Everyone thinks its a slam dunk.
It isnt.
Oh I know… just an extra chance to appease the folks like me who haven’t gotten one and think it’ll add to their chances for success.. it consumes me so badly that I can’t help but feel like if I DONT try, I didn’t give it my all.. I never want that feeling when I go to sleep at night. But I also can appreciate that if I dont, and nobody else does either, the elk numbers don’t decrease from late season hunters and the habitat is that much less encroached on, therefore producing better odds in the future… slippery slope in my moral compass here.

Oh I know… just an extra chance to appease the folks like me who haven’t gotten one and think it’ll add to their chances for success.. it consumes me so badly that I can’t help but feel like if I DONT try, I didn’t give it my all.. I never want that feeling when I go to sleep at night. But I also can appreciate that if I dont, and nobody else does either, the elk numbers don’t decrease from late season hunters and the habitat is that much less encroached on, therefore producing better odds in the future… slippery slope in my moral compass here.
Does it tell you something when an 11 week general, OTC, elk season isn't enough to "give it your all"?

Tells me either you aren't or the hunting is really tough/bad.

Either way, something has to change, IMO/E.

I must ask though, If I went out and got lucky enough to get close enough to shoot my very first bull with a muzzleloader, would I be up schitts creek for pounding the elk too long? or would I be congratulated…? Should I feel bad for the elk or what people might think? This is an honest question..
Feelers should not be hurt, unless the skin is extra thin. Good luck on the elk and be sure to report back.

Let me offer my expert advice:
elk target.JPG

My wife doesn’t eat game and could care less about it. So I don’t get to get out and give it my all as much as some of you.. that and I’m probably not that great of an elk hunter anyway, add all these up with the hunting ain’t what it used to be…

I've witnessed the selectivity of most MT hunters the last couple weeks of the season. They select the first legal animal that stands near the road long enough to get the rifle out the window.
I might selectively go for a hike on public ground for a day,or two.....knowing most of the elk have migrated to private and are comfortably out of 100 yard range anyway.🤣

let's pretend the stats are good: what do the stats say is the harvest success for the 11 week elk season?

nvm that was easier to find than i thought on montana's website.

wllm brought this up once before...

so montana is like a roughly 23% harvest rate for their statewide elk hunting in 2021. so let's generalize and say montana has a 23% harvest rate for their 11 week long elk season.

colorado had a 21% success rate for our 5 DAY LONG 1st rifle season in 2021.

that should speak for itself.

Does it tell you something when an 11 week general, OTC, elk season isn't enough to "give it your all"?

Tells me either you aren't or the hunting is really tough/bad.

Either way, something has to change, IMO/E.

This part blows my mind comparing Montanas success rate to other states that have half the season length. Yet Montana thinks things are just fine.

these super experienced guys are ranting for a reason
I keep thinking about how I've had multiple biologists tell me "that's all anecdotal evidence, it doesn't matter. It's unreliable" in regard to hunters talking about their observations.
But jeez, when lots of experienced people are pointing out the issues, that has to mean something. Yeah it's hard to argue when the scientific data for some of this stuff just doesn't exist (or I'm unaware of it which is likely), but hunters are out in the field a lot. I think experience does matter and those observations do have value.
I've only hunted mule deer in western Montana but one thing I've learned here, I didn't know squat about how big mule deer could really get.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back