Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Follow the MONEY! Frankly, FWP has little wiggle room to adjust license and tag sales (revenue). Their staff and overhead eat up most of their budget, which is a cumulation of many sources, but licenses and tags are a large part of it. Each time we hear FWP tout "opportunity" we can easily substitute REVENUE. There are a lot of big game harvest changes that should occur, but FWP will continue to shout "opportunity" while they justify the status quo.
They sell resident tags for $16. They could 5x it. And if the hunting was worth a shit, people would be glad to pay it.

It'd be pretty fun if we could tie FWP employee compensation to performance. The state could be saving a fortune.
I’m sure you are joking but if nothing changes ever. One game manager/biologist per region at best. Maybe one for the whole state. Private landowners can do the hard work of telling the public no so a species can survive.

They sell resident tags for $16. They could 5x it. And if the hunting was worth a shit, people would be glad to pay it.
How else is a montana family going to survive? Gotta keep that freezer full on the cheap. One deer for the cost of a single ribeye at the store🤦‍♂️

Fwp’s definition of a “mature” deer:
View attachment 299641
That’s directly out of a winter flight survey report from FWP.

Googles definition:
View attachment 299642
I believe the FWP definition is referring to more like, “sexually mature,” not “range of peak antler growth mature.” I think that’s also why they make the distinction with 4-points in there too.

Yes I know yearlings can breed.

I believe the FWP definition is referring to more like, “sexually mature,” not “range of peak antler growth mature.” I think that’s also why they make the distinction with 4-points in there too.

Then FWP should use the term "sexually mature" and not mature. This kind of confusion is not helping FWP.

Just curious, do you work for fwp?

That makes sense. I guess I'll reach back out to the biologist and try and understand how they determine age class structures of a herd. Maybe it's collar information? I think basing anything off 4pt bucks could be a bit misleading. Most of the 4pt bucks I see in the field are little dinks that are likely 3.5 years old.

If region 7 is asking the question of what we would consider the age of a "mature" MD buck and how many we'd like to see afield, I would like to know how and what they'd define as a "mature" MD buck.

Then FWP should use the term "sexually mature" and not mature. This kind of confusion is not helping FWP.
With respect, this is one where hunters have co-opted a biological term to suit their aesthetic wants. Biologically speaking, “mature” nearly always means sexually reproductive age, particularly when we’re talking about wildlife. Any animal without antlers is mature when it reaches sexual maturity. It is nonsensical to have a different standard just for males of antlered species.

Based on any other subjective metric whether it’s some magic number of years old or antler size, no one can really articulate what “mature” actually means because it depends on the person. Therein lies the problem. I don’t think it’s FWP that has introduced the confusion here.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back