Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Montana Mt.Goat

MT.PERCHMAN

Unit 316-20 question

I relize it's very hard to draw this tag but I'm wondering about my ability to take on this hunt if drawn ?

Little info about me , 55 excellent shape except for Open Heart Surgery last summer . I'm almost %100 back to normal . I would push myself to be the best fit for such hunt , exercise ect.
I'm just wondering if this country you need to be a goat almost to even think of getting a Critter . I relize all goat country is tough to say the least .
Thanks for any input !!

Are you in good enough shape to do a multi-day backpack elk hunt? Goat hunting country is tough in almost every unit, but if you can feel confident spending several continuous days in the elk woods, you can hunt goats. It's mostly mental anyway.
Bingo, Shit yeah you'll do just fine Perch. Go for it! There is some decent access in there. I would be a little cautious on that unit over the years i have seen a lot of folks try and wait and the goats seem to head out back into the park. Plus as with any units the weather can pose a huge risk on access. Good luck I hope you draw it and if you do let me know.

Last edited:
Don’t know that unit specifically, but my FIL went on two goat hunts down there somewhere, back-to-back years, when he was 62 and 63. It was a 5 mile pack in to camp IIRC, plus the climb into the cliffs to get to animals, and he did it. He was in good shape for his age but with a few managed health issues. He wasn’t the fastest one up the mountain, and he had my husband along of course. But he was able to make it up to goats when my husband had a tag, and took a nice goat the next year himself. It wasn’t easy on him by any stretch, but he did it.

I'm 55 also. Like you, I'm starting to have body parts not work as well as they used to. We ain't getting any younger! Great country to hunt in and wish you luck. Who knows, if I get lucky, I may even bump into you back there!

I'm 55 also. Like you, I'm starting to have body parts not work as well as they used to. We ain't getting any younger! Great country to hunt in and wish you luck. Who knows, if I get lucky, I may even bump into you back there!
Your just down right falling apart buddy!!!

I'm not sure I'd like to try and keep up with bighorn.......

I'm a year behind you. Seems like each morning is a reminder that I better start doing some of those "some day hunts," if I'm ever going to experience them.

Perchman, I drew a tag at age 64. I trained from the day I learned that I drew the tag. I hike miles each day, climbed the bleachers at the local football field at the high school. This made a difference in my weight and physical fitness. Yet, when hunting at nearly 8000’ my age was a difference. But, slow and steady wins the race.
Make no mistake about it, a goat hunt is difficult. But, it is, in my experience, one of the most rewarding hunts.
Yes, you can do this hunt. Train at altitude with a heavy pack. Spend time shooting a varied distances up and down. Know your shooting capabilities.
Mountain goat hunting will challenge your willingness to endure hardship. It can be a difficult mind game. Determination will be a driving force that can bolster your mind set and physical endurance. Above all please be safe and make good decisions when presented with difficult terrain.
If I can be of any help PM me to talk. MTG

Well I went to see the Dr. and it was good at first but when she asked me how i feel i told her lots better , her response was When you feel the pains again get right back in here . I'm just at a loss of words for a few seconds ..hmm .
She told me I'm going to have another heart attack sometime and be prepared.
Holy crap that took the wind out of my sail .

I guess it's better to know it's going to happen then get a suprize . My family was very upset at first but I guess its just life . It could be a long time before it happens again so I'm not letting it get me down .

I'm waiting patiently for the first round of draws here in Montana ! This could be the year for the tag of dreams !
Sorry so long winded just been thinking about my visit and how or if I wanted to share it .
It's not going to get me down , I'm not that type of a person !
I'm taking every day and injoying it as much as possible !
Its headed to the 60's here time to get out and find a Spring Bear oh and a few ticks too !!

MT.PERCHMAN

Chin Up Sir, get to the hills, get heated up and work that ticker!

I've always said that a person can't beat his or her own fate. When it is that time time to leave this world, well, it's time to leave! In my mind, I can think of no better place to be when that time hits than somewhere in the hills doing what I absolutely love. No need to fret about that day as long as you still have your legs and lungs to explore or great out-of-doors.

I wish you luck in the drawings!

Mtnhunter1

I have to admit I was in total shock to see the picture my Daughter took of me right out of Surgery . But I have come back and not giving up just yet !
I shot a muley doe last year and packed it out in one trip about a mile or so . I took my time but wont lie is was tough .
I passed on my Cow Elk tag , in my mind I just had to set a limit for my first year .
Well it's full boar now !

Thanks MT.PERCHMAN

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back