PEAX Equipment

Montana mountain goat

I'd seriously look at how much time you can commit to a goat hunt before looking at how much you are willing to spend. I agree with @MTTW above. It's also a pretty hard question to answer since you've never goat hunted before. Having had the chance last season to hunt a goat in Montana, the pursuit was way more fun and way more work than I thought it would be. Living an hour away from my district allowed me to scout almost every other weekend in July and August. I then had several 4 day weekend hunts in Sept and early October. That DIY process was incredibly rewarding for me, admittedly the harvest didn't go as I had wanted but that's hunting. The MT biologists have been tightening down the number of licenses while the hunter demand continues to increase. As an out of stater, you have all of that to consider plus the travel time/expense for a DIY hunt.

If I were you, and REALLY wanted chase goats, I’d apply in multiple states, every year. Don’t apply for the most sought after units and your odds go up a bit.
But you need to do it EVERY year.
My family and I have had our fair share of LE permits for elk, moose, sheep, goats in Montana.
Mostly have my dad to thank, as he was applying for me, every year since I was legal to hunt. I’m 30 and got a sheep and moose already, and a goat tag this year to round it out. But I’ve never missed a year applying.
Some never draw anything, and that’s just the way it goes. But sometimes they put in for the lowest odds units, where trophy’s are generally “better”.
I just get sick of people complaining about never drawing anything, but forget to apply for 3 years, then don’t feel like it for a year, and have 2 points.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back