Montana mountain goat hunt unit 323

Ksutton3

Well I finally drew my Montana goat tag in unit 323. Don’t know a lot about the unit. Just trying to find some starting points. I have been on one goat hunt before about 6 years ago So I know it’s going to be a hard physical hunt. we’ll be going scouting in the next week or so and a couple times in August. It’s about 4hr away so trying to make the best of my time when over there scouting Just looking for a starting point on some areas to start looking for goats. Thanks

Last edited:
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, congrats on drawing a goat permit.

Third, I'll give you some advise....Introduce yourself to the crew here on HT. Give a little background info on yourself and your hunting interests. Possibly add in where you are from...that always is appreciated.

323 is a very good goat area with plenty of them running around in the rocks. If you are looking for some helpful answers to your question.....see #3.

Good Luck

Mtnhunter1

Welcome. Being in best shape of past 5 years will make the adventure more enjoyable and safer. Look for the highest points in your unit as goats likely above 9000’ though could be much lower. Not all goats read the manual. Sounds like a local so you are likely bear aware and understand altitude sickness risks. Break in boots Before the hunt if will be hiking in newer boots. There are some goat hunt gear lists if you search and will be hiking in for a multi day adventure far from the trailhead. Nannies can look like billies so if want a billy then the only sure identification is as they urinate or if see gear hanging down. The longer the hair, the better the trophy imo. I would give up an inch of horn for 6” more hair. Good luck.

Welcome. Being in best shape of past 5 years will make the adventure more enjoyable and safer. Look for the highest points in your unit as goats likely above 9000’ though could be much lower. Not all goats read the manual. Sounds like a local so you are likely bear aware and understand altitude sickness risks. Break in boots Before the hunt if will be hiking in newer boots. There are some goat hunt gear lists if you search and will be hiking in for a multi day adventure far from the trailhead. Nannies can look like billies so if want a billy then the only sure identification is as they urinate or if see gear hanging down. The longer the hair, the better the trophy imo. I would give up an inch of horn for 6” more hair. Good luck.
Thanks lopeHunter. Yes I am a Montana resident. I have been on one goat before when my brother drew a tag about 6 years ago. His tag was in the crazy mountains. I would like to get one with good hair but I’m also scared I’ll get snowed out.

I wouldn’t wait for the snow. I’d plan on hunting that unit in mid to late September before the snow gets too bad. Dedicate as much time as you can to it and don’t shoot the first goat you see unless you’ve spent a lot of time scouting. Milk it for all it’s worth, you may never get this opportunity again

Thank you. I’m probably not going to wait for snow. I’m going down this weekend for 3 days hoping I can get eyes on some c

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, congrats on drawing a goat permit.

Third, I'll give you some advise....Introduce yourself to the crew here on HT. Give a little background info on yourself and your hunting interests. Possibly add in where you are from...that always is appreciated.

323 is a very good goat area with plenty of them running around in the rocks. If you are looking for some helpful answers to your question.....see #3.

Good Luck

Mtnhunter1
[/QUOTE
Welcome to HT!! I also have the same tag!! Good Luck!!
Welcome to HT!! I also have the same tag!! Good Luck!!
thank you and good luck to you to

Well I finally drew my Montana goat tag in unit 323. Don’t know a lot about the unit. Just trying to find some starting points. I have been on one goat hunt before about 6 years ago So I know it’s going to be a hard physical hunt. we’ll be going scouting in the next week or so and a couple times in August. It’s about 4hr away so trying to make the best of my time when over there scouting Just looking for a starting point on some areas to start looking for goats. Thanks

I will be scouting in 323 next week. PM me your info if you want and we can compare notes. I plan to be in the area Jul 28-Aug 1. I've got several areas I want to look at, but this will be my first trip to the area, so who knows where I will actually end up.

Congrats!

I’ve known a few people who have drawn and been successful in 323. A friend who is a bear biologist for FWP drew it 5 years ago, he shot a great Billy in late November. He had a few encounters with Grizzlies back there.

Carry two of the big cans of spray, his advice.

Many years ago now, I drew a tag for a goat in 323. It was the year before the big fires in YNP. If things haven't changed too much,,, you'll have no trouble seeing goats,,, you might have trouble getting the right circumstance to close the deal.

Getting snowed out in the middle of September was a blessing in disguise. I would have killed one that early if the opportunity had presented. I went up there with every set of days off. You could see the hair improve with every week. I still have a memory of watching a goat standing on a ledge in a cold hurricane force wind. Its hair parted by the wind straight down the middle. It was standing there like another day in the park. Most trips in resulted in a stalk on a goat that concluded with either no safe way to get close enough for a shot, or the time needed to get close enough was not available due to the shortening days.

A friend had the same tag the same year. We hunted together or separately as our work schedules allowed. One day in late October on a bitterly cold day our luck changed. As we got to the edge of timberline the wind was sucking the heat out of us, even as we were climbing ever upward. I put on the last layer of clothing left in my pack before we made our way to a ridgeline that afforded easier travel along it. When we gained the ridgeline we ate our lunch before deciding which direction each of us would travel searching for goats.

Almost immediately after parting, my friend caught up to me and said he had found two along the ridge. Both where mature nannies. We had by that time, decided a good nanny would suffice. Since he had spotted them, he shot first at the goat of his choosing and I shot the remaining one. Mine nearly fell into the Hellroaring drainage,,, which would not have been good.

That tag provided the most physically challenging hunting I ever experienced. I walked close to 70 miles in those mountains between scouting trips and hunting trips. I was pretty close to my physical prime. When I look at her on the wall,,I remember that there was a day that I could pull off that hunt.

We didn't have a camera with us on the day we succeeded. So it wasn't until I got home that we got a photo of my goat along with my son. Now he's older than I was then. Time flies.

987A3204-33C3-494E-819B-0BB118ADA966_1_201_a.jpeg

Good luck with your tag. You can pm me if you like.

Just got back from a few days in 323. Did more of fun hiking trips with a bit of scouting thrown in. Saw 2 good billies and plenty of nannies and kids.

GOAT.jpgGOAT2.jpg

Attachments

• GOAT3.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 21
  • GOAT4.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice