IMG_5445.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5443.jpeg
    IMG_5443.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 28
I’m fortunate enough to draw my first moose tag for South Central Montana. I am excited about the adventure and to experience something new. Any tips of the dos and don’ts will be greatly appreciated. Do I start scouting now or is there a migration?
Go hunt whitetails and look for a horse! You’ll get it

Moose print?
Yep, those are moose tracks, long and pointy and a long stride. Elk tracks are blunter than moose tracks. You may need more than 8 game bags, moose are big! Have fun. Never thought of a lightweight electric fence to protect your meat between loads. Hopefully you don't kill a whopper too far from the road:)

What’d he say?? Dude this is a cool thread I can’t wait to see what you finally get! Beautiful pics bud keep ‘em comin!
He was a man on a mission-I was sitting on my 4-wheeler glassing meadows when he drove by. He gave me a nod and kept rolling!

I am gone to MN this weekend, then I'll have one more weekend to explore. I am getting the hunting district dialed down to where I want to be, and more importantly, where I don't want to be.

Not sure if any of you have felt this way about getting essentially once in a life time tag, but the internal pressure to succeed can take away some of the fun. I don’t want to fail-but I want meaningful experience with a great bull. If I see a bull that will be good enough on the last day then I will take him on any day of the hunt. As I get closer to opening day, I will have one month to get it done. One month that last the rest of my life. Just some random thoughts as I listen to baseball on a warm summer evening. Hope you all have a great fall and a great Hunting season.

Not sure if any of you have felt this way about getting essentially once in a life time tag, but the internal pressure to succeed can take away some of the fun. I don’t want to fail-but I want meaningful experience with a great bull. If I see a bull that will be good enough on the last day then I will take him on any day of the hunt. As I get closer to opening day, I will have one month to get it done. One month that last the rest of my life. Just some random thoughts as I listen to baseball on a warm summer evening. Hope you all have a great fall and a great Hunting season.
You got it Man!! Yer gonna get it done!!

Also coming in late, looking at your first moose pic I would offer not to shoot him in deep water. I did that as a kid, no fun!

@MontanaBlades You got this brother!! Just enjoy it (the process, and the hunt) and understand we are pulling for you and shoot the bull that is right for you. If I had that tag, and I certainly apply for Moose in MT, but I would be happy going through the scouting, hunting, and would be pushing myself to get the most out of the tag as well. Don't let the pressure take away from just enjoying the OIL experiences.

@MontanaBlades You got this brother!! Just enjoy it (the process, and the hunt) and understand we are pulling for you and shoot the bull that is right for you. If I had that tag, and I certainly apply for Moose in MT, but I would be happy going through the scouting, hunting, and would be pushing myself to get the most out of the tag as well. Don't let the pressure take away from just enjoying the OIL experiences.
This means a lot. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. It’s going to be be great! I can already taste the first bite from the back strap and sharing the laughs/enjoyment I had. Thanks again

This means a lot. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. It’s going to be be great! I can already taste the first bite from the back strap and sharing the laughs/enjoyment I had. Thanks again

Interesting thing that I have noticed on the OIL tags are that people (hunters and landowners alike) are willing to help out because of how hard of a tag it is to draw. It is not like there are going to be throngs of people overtaking the landscape

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back