Montana is Calling.

NPO_Aaron

I'll start by giving a little background.

My wife and I have always been drawn to the mountains. When we were younger we took multiple ski trips out west. Since we live in the middle of North Dakota, our mountain time is few and far between, but there is just something about them that really makes us feel alive and grounded.

I have been a flat-land hunter since I could pick up a gun and am finding myself more and more drawn to the high country.

I don't know what It is about the thought of moving to the mountains of Montana, but it really hits my wife and I right in the sweet spot. So, we put into our 10 year (hopefully closer to 5) plan a move to the mountains. We just see it as a fantastic place to raise a family with an outdoor lifestyle. The problem is, I am a Chiropractor building my own private practice. We chose the place we did to open because it was close to family, but we soon realized that this isn't where we want to be. That means that right about the time that things should get comfortable, we will have to sell and start over. My wife is a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse and can find work at most hospitals, so that isn't a big problem. Finally, We have a six month old that we would be moving away from his grandparents (and trust me, they are quick to let us know that fact when we mention moving". It is a tough situation BUT, I know that we will regret not doing this if we backed out.

I don't know exactly what I was hoping to get out of this post. Maybe it was just to vent, or maybe some of you can share with me some similar situations. Has anyone else uprooted everything to chase adventure? I feel like this is our chance to be "pioneers" in a sense and make our own path. It will be a financial stress again, and there is are a LOT of loose ends that need to be tied up before we can do it, but we just cant get this idea out of our heads.

I am in the same boat. I have wanted to move out west ever since I can remember. I finally have my wife on board and we hope to make the move to SW MT next summer. We have already bought land out there. We just need to find work close by. Moving our kids away from their friends and family is my biggest concern. Particularly our 12 year old daughter. I think my 6 year old son will absolutely love it. We are making one last family trip up there this winter to see if we can manage the cold. Hopefully all goes well. Good luck with your move!

Nothing in life is permanent. If it's where you see being the best place for you and your family I say go for it. My son is 15 months old and the I've always thought the one thing I demand of where I live is the ability to drop him off somewhere when he is older to go roam the hills and tell him I'll see him at dinner.

I know how you feel. I was born in Montana, lived there until I was 6. Then I moved and grew up north of Williston. All this time, my roots remained in MT and I KNEW I wanted to move back. So after college in ND, I immediately moved to Bozeman. I lived there for 2 years, then Billings for another 6 years. And now I live in Fargo, close to my wife's family. We don't share the same love for the mountains. Her love is a big Minnesota lake and family. The one thing I've taken away from this...I appreciate the mountains (and Montana in general) even more now that I'm away. Would I change my choices to be closer? No way. I'm happily married with 2 great kids. Plus, Montana isn't that far from ND. I really feel bad for anyone that lives further east. But since you have a wife that wants the same thing as you, I say do everything possible to make it happen.

Make the move ASAP. Life doesn't slow down and the reasons not to go will only increase with time. "He who hesitates is lost."

I wish I could. I have a LOT of money tied into my business right now, so I've got that hole to dig out of first. In that time we will be making a bunch of trips out west to see where we want to go. I'm leaning towards Kalispell/Missoula.

We are in the same position. My wife and I are both born and raised Montanans, we know the feeling of just "being" in Montana. Its like as soon as I cross the state line I just feel different. Its just something you cant explain. We have two young boys, age 1 and 2 and we would love to raise them in the same area/way that we were both raised. The one tough thing about it is the decrease in pay. Montana ranks like 49th in wages? What does a guy do? Chase the dollar, or settle for less? We had a realtor over last week, and will probably put the house up for sale shortly. If we don't do it soon, it will get tougher to leave later.

Moving to Montana can't be about money. If that's a problem, stay where you are. I moved back home 16 years ago. I work my ass off for less than where I was living and working. Wouldn't change a thing. mtmuley

Moved away from Montana after High School to Nevada. Loved it there, but it ain't Montana. Came home to have and raise kids. mtmuley

Moved away from Montana after High School to Nevada. Loved it there, but it ain't Montana. Came home to have and raise kids. mtmuley

Never been to Nevada, but I would have to agree with you.

The low wages were a big surprise for us. My wife is in healthcare and I can't understand why the wages would be so much lower than Mississippi.

Of all the states in this country, Montanans are the least likely to leave the state they currently live in. Once you're here the fact that wages are lower than many other states seems insignificant compared to the idea of living in a lot of other places in this country. The fact that people don't leave MT relative to how likely they are to leave 49 other states supports this feeling.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-69d4b43faa580c7791893393cde0cdf3-c?convert_to_webp=true

When I was 6 and my brother was 3, after 20 years in the military my dad moved us all out to MT to raise his sons. It is a decision for which I am forever grateful.

Of all the states in this country, Montanans are the least likely to leave the state they currently live in. Once you're here the fact that wages are lower than many other states seems insignificant compared to the idea of living in a lot of other places in this country. The fact that people don't leave MT relative to how likely they are to leave 49 other states supports this feeling.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-69d4b43faa580c7791893393cde0cdf3-c?convert_to_webp=true

When I was 6 and my brother was 3, after 20 years in the military my dad moved us all out to MT to raise his sons. It is a decision for which I am forever grateful.

Poor Illinois.

^Can't say I blame you. It's a shame that the city of Chicago controls everything politically. There are lots of good people like hunters, who don't have a say.

I'd t3ll yall looking to move here l, if you make it through 2 winters, then you know youll.make it. In the Bitterroot where immigration is high, that's how we know someone will stay. There are many who don't make it. Winters are harsher in GFALLS and North. All can say is if you come leave your old ways behind and assimilate into our culture here (not that you could be too bad if you're on this site).

There is so much to offer here, all except jobs. We don't live here because we can make money. We live here because it is part of who we are. I work at a bank with a masters degree in a totally unrelatEd field. Partly for all the time off it affords but also because there are so few decent paying jobs. I had one guy in a month ago who had moved here and left and then came back 5 times. Just trying to make it but couldnt.

Make no mistake that it is rough out here, but worth it if you can make it.

Many questions to ask yourself about your future and current status....How much do you owe in student/business loans? Do you have a sellable practice currently? Is anything of value movable? Are you under a lease/mortgage both at office/home? How busy are you currently/how busy do you want to be? How many more kids do you want, will family closer make that easier? Realize that when you're out doing things that the practice doesn't make any money and like others have said they've taken a lot less to live out there, but also probably not in your debt situation.

Also a chiro with my own private practice, pm if you have questions.

Just so you know you can't walk through Missoula swinging a dead cat and not hit chiropractors. There is a lot of competition.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We are at the very beginning stages of planning this thing, so I'll start looking into the logistics of where we should go when it is more doable. What I would really like to do is move to a small town and be more involved in the community than I am in the bigger town I practice in now. Backsmasher, fantastic name, those points are all reasons the move is looking more in the 5-10 year range. I figure I have to get that stuff all situated before I can live the dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back