montana HD 455 archery elk

SLIVERSTICK406

This is close to my home town and am looking to go back and do some archery hunting. Some of my research has led me to the fact that there will be some hiking with only camping in designated areas. can anyone share some basic information with me on this area during archery season.? I have hunted on most of the areas of private land on the other side of the belts but not here by holter. any info would be much appreciated.

It can be tough hunting during archery if it's warm. I've been into elk during the archery season in 455 before, but it was right after one of those freak October storms that put down 10 or 12 inches of fresh snow. My brother's been into elk there without snow on the ground, but I think 455 gets better as the elk move into their late season routine. Now, if you packed way back up on Shellrock, you might have better luck early on.

I have hunted this area a lot, it is also close to home for me. Camping is at the trailheads on Cottonwood, Elkhorn or Willow creeks, or in a small designated campground at the end of the Elkhorn trail. I would suggest going there soon and driving in, this time of the year the gate is unlocked and you can checkout the backcountry camp (not really "backcountry" since its only 5miles in, but that's what it is called). That side is your better bet during archery likely as not, since it is more timbered and likely to have elk compared to Cottonwood. Can't speak too much for Willow crick since I don't hunt it much, but there is a road going back up in there crossing through USFS and FWP land (careful during general season, since some of the USFS is still considered part of 455 and requires a permit). All in all, not a terrible archery unit, but having horses helps us out a lot, it is open country and steep in some places. We almost always have better luck later in rifle season, except for this last season where it was a free for all most of the season due to the tough summer we had. Cottonwood is the best campground for a camper, it is a little steep dropping into the Elkhorn/Willow crick side. Both sides and the backcountry camp have good water for horses, hitching rails and outhouses. Any more questions, just ask.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back