Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana harvest surveying

MTGomer

I know that this is a bit of a dead horse to beat around here but I’m going to.

This morning, May 1, 2021 I received a call from FWP inquiring about elk harvest the previous year.

It has been a month since deer and elk applications were due for the coming up year.

On top of that, I returned my NR Native combo last summer, before Aug 1 for an 80% refund.

If Montana ever wants to get serious about making a real management plan, I believe Montana needs a method to obtain real harvest and license data to meet whatever those management goals will be.

I’m not hoping for perfection but I know that calling someone that did not have an elk tag, about elk hunting, 5 months after the elk season ended is not the best or only way this could be done. It’s probably not the most cost effective either.

This morning, May 1, 2021 I received a call from FWP inquiring about elk harvest the previous year.

It has been a month since deer and elk applications were due for the coming up year.

On top of that, I returned my NR Native combo last summer, before Aug 1 for an 80% refund.

If Montana ever wants to get serious about making a real management plan, I believe Montana needs a method to obtain real harvest and license data to meet whatever those management goals will be.

I’m not hoping for perfection but I know that calling someone that did not have an elk tag, about elk hunting, 5 months after the elk season ended is not the best or only way this could be done. It’s probably not the most cost effective either.
Massachusetts has mandatory 48hr turkey reporting, I got home made some coffee, went to the site, took 2min filled out unit, private/public, method of take, gender, weight, age (Jake or Tom), and hit submit. It’s not freaking rocket science and it’s not a big deal. At the end you get a confirmation number and you write it on your tag. Lots of states have these systems. CO and MT 🙄

Massachusetts has mandatory 48hr turkey reporting, I got home made some coffee, went to the site, took 2min filled out unit, private/public, method of take, gender, weight, age (Jake or Tom), and hit submit. It’s not freaking rocket science and it’s not a big deal. At the end you get a confirmation number and you write it on your tag. Lots of states have these systems. CO and MT 🙄
Kentucky is similar.
Easy to do and I can do it all on my phone at the kill site (if cell service is available)

Same thing happened to me last year! LOL What a circus😂

Even more confusing is that I got 3 calls but before April...1 very comprehensive, 1 about deer and elk, and another about elk and late season harvest (um I didn't have any elk tags left). Did I get counted 3 times for harvesting an elk in a permitted unit?

Did they ask about snakes? 😝

NM. MO.

I'd encourage you to call the wildlife manager of any region in Montana and ask them about the sample sizes, replies needed, and the confidence rate of the data collected.

I'd encourage you to call the wildlife manager of any region in Montana and ask them about the sample sizes, replies needed, and the confidence rate of the data collected.
Lol well if the management unit is a big as some states then yeah 👍 good to go on sample size.

Last edited:

Do you think we find them to be sufficient or lacking, in their view?

What is so hard about mandatory harvest report? Total joke.
I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number....but I would gladly call back, if I could.
A 12 year old could set it up.

I mean at the absolute least they could make a survey with survey monkey and send it to every email on record.

Do it in conjunction with the phone calls and see what you find.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back