Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana general walking opportunities

I can't speak for the rest of the State, but here in NW Montana, I think there are as many elk now as there has been in the 40 years I've hunted. Two problems though. 1) There are way, way, more people hunting now than ever before. Seems like everyone who moved to this area in the last few years is a hunter, and they seem to be able to hunt every day of the season. 2) A lot of the elk are no longer on huntable land. Land has been sold by Timber Companies and individuals who allowed hunting, and bought by individuals who don't allow hunting. Elk are learning where they are safe, there is a herd of a hundred about a mile from my house, and 5 years ago there were never elk anywhere close to me.
@Irishamn,
I agree that Region-1's "PRIVATE" elk numbers have grown over the last few decades.....BUT, I will whole heatedly disagree that there are as many elk as there once was. Region-1, with it's vast publicly accessible lands, needs our FWPs HELP! At what point does this happen, IF EVER??

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 07-21-52 Big Game Hunting Season Concluded With Mixed Results In Nort...png

Public land rifle antelope hunting for my wife, not R-7, was almost zero.

Public land rifle mule deer and elk for both my wife and I was about what @MTGomer described in this post.

Changes need to be made and the sooner the better.

@Irishamn,
I agree that Region-1's "PRIVATE" elk numbers have grown over the last few decades.....BUT, I will whole heatedly disagree that there are as many elk as there once was. Region-1, with it's vast publicly accessible lands, needs our FWPs HELP! At what point does this happen, IF EVER??

View attachment 252732

Public land rifle antelope hunting for my wife, not R-7, was almost zero.

Public land rifle mule deer and elk for both my wife and I was about what @MTGomer described in this post.

Changes need to be made and the sooner the better.
You really want to see something sad, compare these numbers to the elk counts around 2005 or before.

You really want to see something sad, compare these numbers to the elk counts around 2005 or before.
Oh believe me.....I know! Sad doesn't even begin to describe what has been happening and not just Region-1. Region-1 has just taken the biggest hit over the last few decades. With it's vast publicly accessible lands and rugged backcountry, the FWPs will just tell you to lace up your boots tighter, hike farther and go in deeper.....the critters are out there! As with @MTGomer 's post, sometimes the critter's aren't OUT THERE. Sometimes there is virtually NOTHING out there.....again, sad doesn't cover it.

Last edited:
I think a step in the right direction would be to make archery tags separate. Hunters would have to choose which season they want to hunt. They could only buy one general tag, either archery or rifle. An archery tag would NOT be valid during general rifle season.
I hunt archery and rifle. Good thing I don't own a muzzleloader. I'm not opposed to choosing between archery or rifle. I think another option would be that you have to choose the first 3 weeks of archery, or the last 3 weeks. Same could apply to rifle, choose the first half of rifle season, or the second half. Oh, and just use the muzzleloader in rifle season, no need for that added season.

All is well.
There is increasing solitude to be found with increasing success rates that are now double digits!

All is well.
There is increasing solitude to be found with increasing success rates that are now double digits!

Beginning to wonder if my assessments of certain MT hunters that frequent this site is off. Is it possible that HT regulars have the loosest boots in all of MT?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back