PEAX Equipment

Montana General Tag Question

Kiwi

Happy new year everyone. I’m looking at my options to hunt this year, including maybe Montana on a general deer tag. Last year I think the NR draw odds were 90%, which is fine. But my question is are preference ponits used to draw general tags? and can this point be purchased when applying for a general tag and used the same year? Thanks.

Yes preference points are used in the general draw. Points can be purchased at the same time you apply and it will be used for that years application.

Thanks campripleylf!

So I guess that means the odds are basically 100% (based on 90% last year) if you pay for a point at the time of applying?

Thanks campripleylf!

So I guess that means the odds are basically 100% (based on 90% last year) if you pay for a point at the time of applying?

No . Pref point holders only take 70% of the tags - so basically there’s a draw for pref point holders and then a draw for non pref point holders for the 30 percent

I'm planning on hunting mule deer in MT in 2020. Can I purchase a point this year and then an additional one in 2020 when I apply for my general deer license? If so, I'm assuming that would increase my odds of drawing. Is that correct?

I'm planning on hunting mule deer in MT in 2020. Can I purchase a point this year and then an additional one in 2020 when I apply for my general deer license? If so, I'm assuming that would increase my odds of drawing. Is that correct?

Yes . You can and it would be smart . Cost u $50 for the preference point but worth it . U can buy it online this summer . Then next year u buy another one when u apply for the tag that way you’ll have 2 pref points and I guarantee you’ll draw

I’m confused :) I know it doesn’t really matter, but still trying to get my head around the NR gen deer licence draw odds. If last year the draw odds were 90%, then wouldn’t that mean everyone with 1 point or more got a tag last year? Even with only 70% of the allocation to point holders, there must have been enough with no points to account for the up to 10% who didn’t draw?

Last edited:
For what it’s worth I just heard back from Montana Fish And Game, they confirmed last year everyone with one point drew a gen deer licence.

For what it’s worth I just heard back from Montana Fish And Game, they confirmed last year everyone with one point drew a gen deer licence.

Yes but I’m saying that might not be the case going forward , the demand for these tags is going up

Good point. Based i my brief visit years ago and recent research I can understand why it’s so popular. Hopefully I’ll be hunting MT soon.

I’m still pretty confused with MT point system and general deer tags. If I bought a bonus point for deer this year is that good for the general draw next year? Also, is a NR better off going for a general tag or a unit specific tag?

I’m still pretty confused with MT point system and general deer tags. If I bought a bonus point for deer this year is that good for the general draw next year? Also, is a NR better off going for a general tag or a unit specific tag?

A non resident is better off hunting a state with good deer hunting, but if you must go to Montana, your bonus point this year will be applied to next years app, then if you don’t draw next year you’ll get another bonus point if you selected ‘yes’ to get one on your app.

I’ve never been out west and would like to see the country. I’m considering Wyoming and Idaho, as well. However, I’d love to take a solid MT whitetail, but need to do some research on what part of the state offers good whitetail hunting on public land.

I’ve never been out west and would like to see the country. I’m considering Wyoming and Idaho, as well. However, I’d love to take a solid MT whitetail, but need to do some research on what part of the state offers good whitetail hunting on public land.

There are other places in the state but the NW part, from Missoula north and west have pretty whitetail numbers.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about mule deer, as there’s only one special permit whitetail unit I’m aware of. Almost everywhere in the state can be hunted for whitetails with the General Deer License.

EDITED FOR CLARITY

Last edited:
There are other places in the state but the NW part, from Missoula north and west have pretty whitetail numbers.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about mule deer, as there’s only one draw whitetail unit I’m aware of. Almost everything is OTC

I’m really new to the whole system. I didn’t realize you could purchase a whitetail only tag without entering the deer draw. This is a game changer!

I’m really new to the whole system. I didn’t realize you could purchase a whitetail only tag without entering the deer draw. This is a game changer!

I think I confused you by using a bad choice of words. I should not have said OTC, as deer is not OTC for a NR
Montana does not have a ‘whitetail tag’.
It has a general deer license, which you can use for whitetails in the entire state, with the exception of HD 455 and maybe a few other microscopic areas.

If you get that general deer combo, you can then hunt whitetail pretty much where ever. No need to draw a unit specific ‘special deer PERMIT’ which is almost exclusively a mule deer unit specific drawing.

I think I confused you by using a bad choice of words. I should not have said OTC, as deer is not OTC for a NR
Montana does not have a ‘whitetail tag’.
It has a general deer license, which you can use for whitetails in the entire state, with the exception of HD 455 and maybe a few other microscopic areas.

If you get that general deer combo, you can then hunt whitetail pretty much where ever. No need to draw a unit specific ‘special deer PERMIT’ which is almost exclusively a mule deer unit specific drawing.

Ohhhh alright. This makes a lot more sense! So, instead of buying the “bonus” point this year I should have bought the “preference” point.

Looks like I’m buying both this year... live and learn.

Welcome to HT!

Ohhhh alright. This makes a lot more sense! So, instead of buying the “bonus” point this year I should have bought the “preference” point.

Looks like I’m buying both this year... live and learn.

preference points apply to your drawing chance of a general deer combo.
bonus points apply to drawing a special permit in the draws per specific draw tag units such as the one whitetail special permit mentioned above.
they have the most confusing system anywhere it's in serious need of an overhaul asap.

Back