Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana General Archery vs Rifle Pressure

I don't know about other areas in montana but sw mt, Dillon down to lima, big hole and gravelies are getting rediculous in any season. People and camps everywhere. And to the folks that say get off the roads and get away from people, you clearly haven't hunted around here. I know of less than a handful of places that can get you more than 2 miles from a road. There is sxs access up almost every ridge and even where its not legal there are still roads that people regularly drive,not enough enforcement for lazy people. It is near impossible to find elk that are doing elk things that are not just being run ragged.

Last year my brother and I got onto a herd of elk. He shot one and they took off up a ridge, then some other guys shot one, and they kept going, right into another group who also shot at them. Then they went over a ridge and we heard several more shots, and then a few more. That was on a tuesday. I felt bad for even being innvolved in the fiasco. Way to many people, way to much easy access. Obviously my opinion.

I don't know about other areas in montana but sw mt, Dillon down to lima, big hole and gravelies are getting rediculous in any season. People and camps everywhere. And to the folks that say get off the roads and get away from people, you clearly haven't hunted around here. I know of less than a handful of places that can get you more than 2 miles from a road. There is sxs access up almost every ridge and even where its not legal there are still roads that people regularly drive,not enough enforcement for lazy people. It is near impossible to find elk that are doing elk things that are not just being run ragged.

Last year my brother and I got onto a herd of elk. He shot one and they took off up a ridge, then some other guys shot one, and they kept going, right into another group who also shot at them. Then they went over a ridge and we heard several more shots, and then a few more. That was on a tuesday. I felt bad for even being innvolved in the fiasco. Way to many people, way to much easy access. Obviously my opinion.
I know it would never happen, but in the greater SW MT area I wish they would do something like close every other motorized route during hunting season. I think it would help pressure and maybe allow elk to do elk things a bit more.

I know it would never happen, but in the greater SW MT area I wish they would do something like close every other motorized route during hunting season. I think it would help pressure and maybe allow elk to do elk things a bit more.
I'm on board. Call me a bad guy but I would be ok if they closed 75% of secondary roads year round permanently so it would require a little effort to get into areas. Its funny because from december to august I never every see a soul out and about with the exception of a few guys during shed season. Most of this country is completely abondoned. Season rolls around and it fills up like walmart on black friday.

You’ll have more solitude during Archery. We hiked 7 miles into a small basin east of Dillion last year during rifle. While glassing, we saw two hunters who were proceeding up the ridge line to our location. I made sure to make myself visible. He finally noticed me and they started to turn around and descend down the ridge line. I continued glassing, only to look over to see them set up a hundred yards from our location. I was so agitated that we packed up and left. Really wanted to give them an ear full.

I'm on board. Call me a bad guy but I would be ok if they closed 75% of secondary roads year round permanently so it would require a little effort to get into areas. Its funny because from december to august I never every see a soul out and about with the exception of a few guys during shed season. Most of this country is completely abondoned. Season rolls around and it fills up like walmart on black friday.
75% sounds good to me during hunting season. I really have no problem with them being open in the summer just because as you say there is never any one out and about on them. With all the new hunters (resident & non-resident) closing some roads could be an option to manage hunting pressure. In theory it should cause the elk to be pressured less and afford a higher success rate to hunters who are willing to work a bit for their animal. Unfortunately I'm not sure that would ever be a real possibility, there are just too many people that would freak out if anyone ever proposed it.

75% sounds good to me during hunting season. I really have no problem with them being open in the summer just because as you say there is never any one out and about on them. With all the new hunters (resident & non-resident) closing some roads could be an option to manage hunting pressure. In theory it should cause the elk to be pressured less and afford a higher success rate to hunters who are willing to work a bit for their animal. Unfortunately I'm not sure that would ever be a real possibility, there are just too many people that would freak out if anyone ever proposed it.
I spent a lot of this fall up in NW Montana and was suprised/impressed about how it seemed the Majority of roads were gated in the fall. Sometimes I b*****d about it because the Approach to some of the areas I wanted to hunt were downright long just walking roads to get to trailheads. But when I came back to SW Montana and expierenced the absolute shit show that was described above, people everywhere, driving up two tracks you didn’t know were there etc., it made me really wonder about the lack of gated roads in this part of the state...

To the OP, the rifle pressure really is very significant In SW Montana. This last season around Dillon/Butte it was downright frustrating at times.

If lack of people is a main goal then no doubt archery is the better season to hunt.

Last edited:
Back