Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana game farm under quarantine after an elk tested positive for CWD

There was an initiative in 2000 that banned new ones. IDK how many are still in operation and grandfathered in.

The CWD detected in 2000 around Philipsburg from elk was from a game farm.

theres one near Sidney mt, 2 years ago they had some elk get out and run around on state ground and blm ground, there was a guy on a sxs chasing the hell out of them,,,

there is still one or two in the flathead. The 2000 initiative banned new and expanded game farms but existing ones were grandfathered in. I think history has proven the wisdom of I-143. I wish it could have been more thorough.

Look where it's gotten us. Now we have CWD in wild herds also. Some of the Canadian provinces have game farms and that's where some of our CWD on our Montana northern border has come from. IDIOTS Just to clarify I'm talking about the folks who thought that these game farms were okay in the first place, and then to allow "hunting" on them really gave sportsmen and women a bad name.

Last edited:
I know the horse has been beat to death, least the harm or not harm humans, how it spreads, etc. Though I don't recall NIH or CDC stating game farms are the root of CWD. In fact, they state it's an unknown.

It was first id'd for U.S. in CO though even that does not mean that was it's origin. Research from CDC/NIH states it's id'd on game farms due to required testing. Makes sense. Same with free range/wild deer, elk, and moose except this is id'd via hunter harvest testing mostly.

Anyone have a .gov type site that states cwd originated from game farms?

Thanks

CWD was first identified in captive deer in a Colorado research facility in the late 1960s, and in wild deer in 1981. By the 1990s, it had been reported in surrounding areas in northern Colorado and southern Wyoming. Since 2000, the area known to be affected by CWD in free-ranging animals has increased to at least 24 states, including states in the Midwest, Southwest, and limited areas on the East Coast.

This information from Merck was a great read. It doesn't say CWD started here, but it does give a good history and answers a number of questions.

Wildlife departments across the country have plans and are developing more plans for CWD control. I believe any plan has to involve the captive cervid populations as well. That means in one way or another they have to work with the state departments of agriculture. I believe some of the research outlined by Merck could be a start to getting the attention of the agriculture crowd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back