Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana Draw Question

Wheaty17

I tried to see if Randy talked about this on YouTube but didn't get an exact answer. So, here's my question.

If I want to accumulate Elk preference points in MT, can I apply for a hard to draw unit as my first choice and then still draw on my second choice for a general hunt? I guess I'm wondering if the MT DOW looks at your choices outside of your first choice?

Or, do they make it easy like Colorado and I can buy a preference point and ALSO hunt in a general unit?

I put in for a hard to draw district as my first choice. Haven't drawn it yet so I accumulate points. Points are not district specific and are only used for 1st choice. If you apply for and get a second choice, your points are preserved. There aren't really general units you draw for. Your MT general tag is good in pretty much every district but what is legal take in that district can vary. In the hard to draw unit I apply for every year, I can still use my general elk tag to shoot a cow or spike during archery or a spike during the general rifle season. Many districts only allow brow-tined bulls with a general tag while others can be either-sex elk. So if you don't draw any special permits you apply for, you get a point and still have a lot of options. The regulations from FWP lay out what draw odds were from the previous year and what is legal to hunt with a general elk tag by district.

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=73497

Last edited:
I want to accumulate points for a limited hunt but still hunt in a general season. Sounds like that is possible. Thanks for the link. I'll keep studying. I've been using GoHunt as well.

I want to accumulate points for a limited hunt but still hunt in a general season. Sounds like that is possible. Thanks for the link. I'll keep studying. I've been using GoHunt as well.
Yep that's pretty much what I do. I have 5 points in a really hard draw unit and always draw my 2nd choice. Still hunt other units as well with my general tag.

Wheaty17, in MT you have to apply for the general elk tag in order to apply for a permit. Drawing the general has been 100% the past several years with leftovers. Probably going to be the same this year. If you don't draw your first choice permit, it is possible to draw a second choice permit if there are not as many first choice applicants as there are permits for the area. Drawing a second choice permit does not use up your bonus points. Third choice is the same way if you don't draw second choice. If you don't draw a permit you can still hunt in any general unit with your general tag. What you can legally kill in the general unit you hunt, is up to the individual regs for that unit. For all practical purposes, if you are a nonresident you only have a chance to draw your first choice permit area. Even if you draw a permit you can still hunt a general area with your tag.

Wheaty17, in MT you have to apply for the general elk tag in order to apply for a permit. Drawing the general has been 100% the past several years with leftovers. Probably going to be the same this year. If you don't draw your first choice permit, it is possible to draw a second choice permit if there are not as many first choice applicants as there are permits for the area. Drawing a second choice permit does not use up your bonus points. Third choice is the same way if you don't draw second choice. If you don't draw a permit you can still hunt in any general unit with your general tag. What you can legally kill in the general unit you hunt, is up to the individual regs for that unit. For all practical purposes, if you are a nonresident you only have a chance to draw your first choice permit area. Even if you draw a permit you can still hunt a general area with your tag.
This is my biggest concern. Last year I new I wasn't going to hunt MT so I applied for one of the Missouri Breaks hunts. This year I want to hunt on a general tag but was wondering if I can apply the same strategy and apply for a Breaks hunt again to get the point and then get drawn for my second choice of a general tag. My concern is that the DOW doesn't even get to looking at the second choice and only looks at the first and I don't draw either tag. IF that happens I'm still OK because I have a good spot in CO that's OTC. But, I want to get my dad to MT this year and still earn a point for a tag like the 900-20.

If you apply you will draw a general tag for sure. That drawing is separate from the permit drawing. You can certainly apply for a Breaks permit to attempt to draw or gain another point. As a N.R. you won't have a chance for a 900-20 as a second choice. Decide which unit you want to hunt most if you draw a special permit and apply for that as a first choice.

Montana limits N.R. to 10% of the total tags and permits. Once the 10% cap is reached all the other N.R. applicants for that unit are passed over. Thats why it is possible for a resident to occasionally draw 900-20 as a second choice even though not all N.R. applicants draw that applied for that permit as their first choice.

Clear as mud? :)

Don't pay the extra for the bonus point for the general tag. The past several years the draw for a general tag has been 100%. Do pay for the bonus point for which ever permit you decide to apply for since you don't use up your permit bonus points until you draw the permit you apply for.

Montana limits N.R. to 10% of the total tags and permits. Once the 10% cap is reached all the other N.R. applicants for that unit are passed over. Thats why it is possible for a resident to occasionally draw 900-20 as a second choice even though not all N.R. applicants draw that applied for that permit as their first choice.

Should be noted that 10% is by region i.e. 10% of region 4 elk tags go to non residents. .. not 10% of the states elk tags or 10% of unit 410 tags

Should be noted that 10% is by region i.e. 10% of region 4 elk tags go to non residents. .. not 10% of the states elk tags or 10% of unit 410 tags

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. What about the 900-20 tag? Is that considered it's own region?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back