MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Draw process

HighDesertSage

Could someone please explain to me the Montana draw process. I am not really interested in the general tag hunts, just the premium/controlled hunts. The way I understand it I have to buy the big game combo to be able to put in for the drawing? Can I get this refunded if I only want points? Is their a way to just buy point like WY does? How does it work for antelope or moose? What type of draw does Montana do? Any random tags or is it a true pp draw? Thanks for the help!

Reg junkies will give you the full story. But I don't believe you can just buy pts. However, you buy a general tag and then apply for special permits. If you don't draw, you can either hunt general or "sell" back the general tag. It will cost you a few bucks to do the later but I don't believe it's a large fee. Assuredly clearification is yet to come.

You cannot just buy points in MT. You have to apply for the specie or big game combo and if you draw, you are able to apply for a limited quota area (permit). If you fail to draw the permit, you have the option to either keep the general tag and hunt general units, or return the tag for an 80% refund (pretty sure it's 80% or somewhere close). Bottom line, you have to front the cost of the tags in order to build permit points (bonus points) and if you decide to not hunt with the general you are out the 20% tag fee plus the cost of bonus points per specie so it could be a couple hundred $$ if you are strictly trying to build points and not hunt each year.

Not to high jack the thread, but I'm confused too. I don't see in the regs where it shows what/where the limited quota units are. Also, what does it mean when it shows a unit and has a -20 or another number behind the unit number??

Not to high jack the thread, but I'm confused too. I don't see in the regs where it shows what/where the limited quota units are. Also, what does it mean when it shows a unit and has a -20 or another number behind the unit number??

This page should help- http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/newDeadline/nonresidentApplyInfo.html

The PDF on step six will break down the different units and odds.

The odds are bs on that though, I don't know why they put those on there. You can get a better idea of odds here- fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/drawingStatistics/elk.html

The two digits after the unit number are hunt code numbers, their main use is to differentiate between permits in units that have more than one type.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back