Caribou Gear

Montana Deer

I can’t imagine things will be better next year. The storm en route should decrease the numbers a bit more. The seasons are set for this year not much can be done about it. Makes me appreciate North Dakota which has actually cancelled seasons or gave refunds for tags when numbers are struggling.

I can’t imagine things will be better next year. The storm en route should decrease the numbers a bit more. The seasons are set for this year not much can be done about it. Makes me appreciate North Dakota which has actually cancelled seasons or gave refunds for tags when numbers are struggling.
You must have a short memory when it comes to nd game and fish trying to kill every last deer in the 2000s

I probably didn’t pay attention before 2010. Enlighten me.
140,000 + tags . Extra doe tags guys shooting however many they wanted , pretty much like eastern Montana is doing now . Some units in ND never recovered . Loss of a lot of crp acres at about the same time plus some bad winters were literally a perfect storm but they reacted about 5 years too late . Kinda like Montana is doing .

140,000 + tags . Extra doe tags guys shooting however many they wanted , pretty much like eastern Montana is doing now . Some units in ND never recovered . Loss of a lot of crp acres at about the same time plus some bad winters were literally a perfect storm but they reacted about 5 years too late . Kinda like Montana is doing .
What makes you think Montana is reacting?

The General Season is one thing, but it’s mind numbing that they are still giving 3500 mule deer doe tags and allowing them to be killed on public land.
Gotta pay those FWP employees even if there are no animals left on the landscape. The more I think about it the more I begin to believe it's a doomed system from the start. State game agencies have created their own budget issues through bad business practices and spending. I think it's past time to trim some fat.

Gotta pay those FWP employees even if there are no animals left on the landscape. The more I think about it the more I begin to believe it's a doomed system from the start. State game agencies have created their own budget issues through bad business practices and spending. I think it's past time to trim some fat.
You don’t think they would still sell those 3500 tags if they put a no public land stipulation on them? I think they would still sell in a heart beat.

Ought Six, thanks for sharing that. I hunt that unit, and last year a local rancher told me mule deer sightings were the lowest he's seen in many years.

You don’t think they would still sell those 3500 tags if they put a no public land stipulation on them? I think they would still sell in a heart beat.
Mule deer management plan does not allow for them to distinguish doe tags for private or public. This is what I was told recently I have not looked into it. Seems like an easy one to make them private land only. Yes the tags would still sell out if it was private land only.

Mule deer management plan does not allow for them to distinguish doe tags for private or public. This is what I was told recently I have not looked into it. Seems like an easy one to make them private land only. Yes the tags would still sell out if it was private land only.
And we shouldn't care if they don't sell out. The reason there should be doe tags is to manage the herd, not generate revenue or provide someone with an opportunity tag so they can fill the freezer.

The reason there should be doe tags is to manage the herd, not generate revenue
This right here will be the most important words spoken in this thread. Right here lies the root of all these issues in Montana and many other states as far as that goes. Agencies have grown to large and budgets are to large so they must continue to push these tags to keep people in a job. Probably one of the biggest flaws to the model we use today to support wildlife.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back