Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana combo

174in

Is anyone here going to buy just a point for a Montana combo tag this year? If so elk combo,deer combo,or elk and deer combo. I am going to purchase one this year for sure. great way to start building points.

Seems like a waste of money to me. The elk combo tags were a 100% draw last year with no points and with the new native Montanan tags this year, I would be shocked if there weren't leftover tags again this year.

The deer only tag wasn't a 100% draw, that would be the only point worth buying to me.

The deer is the only one I am buying also.I want to be 100% sure I draw when the time comes the wife has me on a 1 out of state a year hunt plan. I agree the elk one is probably a waste of money. Plan on wyoming antelope again this year,montana or colorado deer next year,then wyoming deer after that finally wyoming elk after that. Sounds confusing but I think I have it figured out.

I agree seems like a waste of money unless you want the deer tag. Even with it you still have high odds of drawing without the point I feel. Looks like alaska moose and bou for me this year. Or should I say bou for me my buddy got a great AK moose tag bout a sure thing for him on a bruiser this year.

Isn't the point for putting in for limited draw areas? The general tag is basically 100%, but without points you're not going be competitive in the trophy districts...correct?

There were points for the general tag for nonresidents. Different from the points for the special draw areas.

My 3 friends and I are rolling the die on a nonresident deer/elk combo. not putting in for it just hoping for leftovers.

Does anybody know if you can just buy a point for a general combo tag right now or do we have to wait until later to buy it? I don't want to get drawn, just get the point. Looking at Huntin' Fool last night, they say that it is up in the air right now whether or not we will be able to buy the point later in the year whereas on Montana's G&F website, it still says you can buy a point later if you don't apply for a tag right now.

I am in kind of the same boat as 174! My family duties only allow for about 1 out of state hunt per year. And I was thinking about starting to apply just for PP for a few years for elk and deer and, say 5 or six years down the road may have a better shot at a decent hunting district in the limited draw areas!! Am I planning this and looking at this all wrong? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Im going by the Montana fish and game site I think you can buy the point from July to Sept.

I am in kind of the same boat as 174! My family duties only allow for about 1 out of state hunt per year. And I was thinking about starting to apply just for PP for a few years for elk and deer and, say 5 or six years down the road may have a better shot at a decent hunting district in the limited draw areas!! Am I planning this and looking at this all wrong? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

The only thing I read about the whole thing I didnt like was that you must apply for a tag every other year or you loose your points. From the way I understood was by a point this year then next year you must apply for a tag. Sounds fishy? I was hopeing it would be like wyoming and you could just by points every year and not get penalized. Someone correct me here if I am wrong.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back