Montana Breaks advice

I can't remember the year, maybe '88, but you could not get off the road with your car/truck even to park you had to keep 2 wheels on the road.
At some point, the ramp at crooked creek was 5 miles out of the water.

Maybe a word of advice.

Your profile pic probably isn’t helping your credibility or being taken serious.

Just my 2 cents.
You’re the 3rd person to say that… like I told ol Jonas, I love that pic… nobody knows the backstory. I may have put that poor bastard outta his misery coulda died within the week without me… but if you think that’s why dudes are less than helpful 🤣 MAYBE I’ll change it to a different one.. it’s not like I’m some fatass on a couch not trying.. even a small buck is a trophy and I know that’s a good buck without any approval haha Id understand not taking some lazy fool seriously… I’m out here trying, Coach!

You’re the 3rd person to say that… like I told ol Jonas, I love that pic… nobody knows the backstory. I may have put that poor bastard outta his misery coulda died within the week without me… but if you think that’s why dudes are less than helpful 🤣 MAYBE I’ll change it to a different one.. it’s not like I’m some fatass on a couch not trying.. even a small buck is a trophy and I know that’s a good buck without any approval haha Id understand not taking some lazy fool seriously… I’m out here trying, Coach!
These pants are buckled up tight, I do take the bad with the good and I’m not asking anyone to show me the animals buds, I’m asking for folks to hunt with and/or fish and camp with.. Camaraderie… I feel pretty confident this year… and I thank all of you, for better or worse and wish you all luck. Even if you’re shitheads sometimes to people 🤣😂

We're planning to head up early Sept for our archery elk tags. What's the general concensus early vs late archery?

We're planning to head up early Sept for our archery elk tags. What's the general concensus early vs late archery?
Last year I was there mid sept. Tons of folks by the slippery Anne petting zoo.. I hadn’t heard but one bugle the whole first two weeks of archery until I got to the breaks.. The Elk were already going absolutely nuts. only about 4 campers at Fourchette bay.. lots of room to camp along jeep trails throughout. I’ll be there this year, and hope to spend at least a total of 14 days there sporadically and hunt OTC units the rest.. Good luck and reach out if you want more company or help packing out your elk

These pants are buckled up tight, I do take the bad with the good and I’m not asking anyone to show me the animals buds, I’m asking for folks to hunt with and/or fish and camp with.. Camaraderie… I feel pretty confident this year… and I thank all of you, for better or worse and wish you all luck. Even if you’re shitheads sometimes to people 🤣😂

ya what do I know. What your doing seems to be working well. Stay the course.

The brakes get this dry every year and 10's of thousands of acres burn, no one notices.
Fire is part of prairie lands' natural behavior.
This year is 3 weeks early is all.
They seem to be dry “most” years. I cannot recall many times seeing crested wheat grass headed out at 2” tall ever. I would say three weeks early is a bit of an understatement.

They seem to be dry “most” years. I cannot recall many times seeing crested wheat grass headed out at 2” tall ever. I would say three weeks early is a bit of an understatement.
Not the breaks but here in eastern Montana we’ve had a total of 2” of moisture since January 1st. the crested wheat in our pasture never even came up. What little alfalfa is there is just stems because the hoppers are so thick.

Last edited:
Not the breaks but here in eastern Montana we’ve had a total of 2” of moisture since January 1st. the created wheat in our pasture never even came up. What little alfalfa is there is just stems because the hoppers are so thick.
My buddy was around the Little Missouri yesterday and said the same thing. The grass never even grew.

Not the breaks but here in eastern Montana we’ve had a total of 2” of moisture since January 1st. the crested wheat in our pasture never even came up. What little alfalfa is there is just stems because the hoppers are so thick.
Home is a short drive north of you. I believe it’s worse in some places over there. I know that some of the old timers said that if the crested is headed out by mid May it’s signs of a real hard year to come as far as grass is concerned. I’d hate to even ask their thoughts on this year.

Home is a short drive north of you. I believe it’s worse in some places over there. I know that some of the old timers said that if the crested is headed out by mid May it’s signs of a real hard year to come as far as grass is concerned. I’d hate to even ask their thoughts on this year.
Seems like everywhere is dry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back