PEAX Equipment

Montana 316 Mountain Goat - 2022 Mountain Adventure

Wish I had something to contribute but congrats on the tag! Mountain goats seem like a pretty unique challenge from what I’ve read.

Just out of curiosity for your name, are you shooting a 284 win? That’s another one of those cartridges that had it been marketed better should’ve been pretty successful!

I am also the lucky recipient of a high country goat tag in a different unit in the region. I’m planning to make my first hunt on September 15th. I am prioritizing good weather and the ability to navigate the high country over hair length.

If the unit were easier to access then my priority would change. I don’t think I have ever heard of a tag holder on 316 who wished they had waited until later to hunt that unit, but I have heard of a few who wished they had hunted earlier.
I would also add to this, I noticed on my northwest MT goat that the hair length on September 15th vs October 1st was significant. It's almost as if you can watch it grow through a scope. Since hair is such an important part of the trophy, I would consider that early October window as an optimal harvest time between hair growth and pending snowfall.

Wish I had something to contribute but congrats on the tag! Mountain goats seem like a pretty unique challenge from what I’ve read.

Just out of curiosity for your name, are you shooting a 284 win? That’s another one of those cartridges that had it been marketed better should’ve been pretty successful!
a .284 Winchester is one of my rifles and it might be the one selected for this hunt. My grandfather built the rifle himself (was an old-school machinist, and tool die maker). It has a Mauser action and hand-checkered walnut stock. The most accurate rifle I have shot so far.

Fellow HT members,

Yesterday I was given a gift by MT FWP in the form of an MT Goat tag in Unit 316. The only species that I have so far dedicated myself to have been deer and elk (bow and rifle) and have never hunted any of the Big Three species. I welcome any and all information, tips, and tactics for pursuing mountain goats, especially if you have had the tag in this unit in previous years. I would like to create this thread into an ongoing story, much like @LopeHunter shared with us in 2020. As of right now, all options are on the table for me, from using stock to everything on my back and maybe even using snowmobiles.

If you have had this tag, or any goat tag, and live in the Bozeman, MT area, please reach out via direct message. I would love the opportunity to ask questions and share stories over a cold drink.

The gears in my mind have not stopped turning since I viewed my draw result yesterday. Looking forward to this experience and am ready to put in the work.

Thank you all in advance!
I'll throw my hat in the ring too. I also drew a Goat tag in 316. I've been applying for a Goat tag for 26 years. Just in time too before my body breaks down. I thought it would never happen but it looks like the Bonus Point system is finally paying off. Based off the limited research that I've done, this Unit could be a gamble in waiting for colder weather and a 'big haired Billy'. I'm planning on going at it early but waiting for some info from the region 3 biologist that may sway my decision. That said, I would love to hear from anyone out there that has either hunted Goats or of course anyone with specific knowledge of the Unit. I have pretty much any means necessary to travel in the unit including horses, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, etc. etc. but no parachutes.

Side note, my wife drew a 410 rifle tag for Elk that is in the mix for this fall's planning as well. I had that tag in 2007 and had a great hunt but I've heard that things have changed quite a bit. If anyone has any info that is more current, I would love to hear what you have to say. Maybe Gramma can get a decent Bull....

I'm an old school guy and this is officially the only "social media" that I am now a part of. No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and whatever else. Look forward to hearing back.

Congrats to the lucky tag holders. I drew a goat tag back in the day (year before YNP fires) in unit 323. The observation that you can watch their hair grow is indeed true. A friend drew the same tag, the same year. We went in first in August to learn the lay of the land etc. The goats were still holding onto a little of their winter coat. We went in another time or two before the season.

We went in to hunt the opener. The afternoon before the opener it was 70 degrees at 10000 feet. The weather changed in the night and by the following morning there was a foot of wet snow and the mountains were shrouded in fog. We broke camp and returned home.

He and I hunted together and individually as our work schedules allowed. I was not too difficult to find a goat. It was difficult to actually get close enough to get a shot. The week before the elk/deer season opened our schedules aligned again. We left Billings very early and left the trailhead at first light.

The weather was damn nasty. It was maybe 10 degrees and the wind was howling out of the north. After we had climbed the last pull up to the main ridge we ate our lunch, then went separate ways to try find a goat. We did, and both of us killed nannies that day. His was quite long at over 9 inches, mine 9 inches even. Mine nearly slid a thousand feet down the head wall of Hellroaring creek.

Getting them out was a physical task that is now well beyond me. My friend had hurt his back and could not pack very much weight. The first 1/4 mile coming down off the ridge was the toughest portion coming out. We got back to the truck right at dusk.

Here's a photo of the cape of mine with my son and I. He is now older than I was then. What hair I have left is whiter than a mountain goat's.
987A3204-33C3-494E-819B-0BB118ADA966_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool!! Congrats and hope to see some success pics and story of the adventure!!

Congratulations! Going to be an amazing adventure.

As others have said, I highly encourage you get A Beast the Color of Winter. It’ll teach you just about everything you need to know about mountain goats, behavior, family structure, terrain used during specific times of the year.

It may be worth taking a ride into Goose Lake and glassing across the boundry into 316. Good luck and can’t wait to hear about it!

Congratulations! Going to be an amazing adventure.

As others have said, I highly encourage you get A Beast the Color of Winter. It’ll teach you just about everything you need to know about mountain goats, behavior, family structure, terrain used during specific times of the year.

It may be worth taking a ride into Goose Lake and glassing across the boundry into 316. Good luck and can’t wait to hear about it!
I ordered the book last week after finding out I drew, I can’t wait to read it. September will be here before you know it. I feel very humbled to have drawn the tag after so many years and feel a great sense or responsibility to go into this prepared. Looking forward to the adventure!

Congrats to the lucky tag holders. I drew a goat tag back in the day (year before YNP fires) in unit 323. The observation that you can watch their hair grow is indeed true. A friend drew the same tag, the same year. We went in first in August to learn the lay of the land etc. The goats were still holding onto a little of their winter coat. We went in another time or two before the season.

We went in to hunt the opener. The afternoon before the opener it was 70 degrees at 10000 feet. The weather changed in the night and by the following morning there was a foot of wet snow and the mountains were shrouded in fog. We broke camp and returned home.

He and I hunted together and individually as our work schedules allowed. I was not too difficult to find a goat. It was difficult to actually get close enough to get a shot. The week before the elk/deer season opened our schedules aligned again. We left Billings very early and left the trailhead at first light.

The weather was damn nasty. It was maybe 10 degrees and the wind was howling out of the north. After we had climbed the last pull up to the main ridge we ate our lunch, then went separate ways to try find a goat. We did, and both of us killed nannies that day. His was quite long at over 9 inches, mine 9 inches even. Mine nearly slid a thousand feet down the head wall of Hellroaring creek.

Getting them out was a physical task that is now well beyond me. My friend had hurt his back and could not pack very much weight. The first 1/4 mile coming down off the ridge was the toughest portion coming out. We got back to the truck right at dusk.

Here's a photo of the cape of mine with my son and I. He is now older than I was then. What hair I have left is whiter than a mountain goat's.
View attachment 222482
Sounds like you guys had quite the Adventure! I can’t wait for mine!

I would get up into that country early scouting. Actually get up on the mountain not just the trails. While you are there imagine the whole place with 1 inch of ice on it. Then decide how late you want to wait for hair to grow.
I have been involved with quite a few goat hunts and consider them some of the most enjoyable hunts available in early season. Once the mountain is icy and you have to get through even 1 foot of snow to get there, there is nothing fun about it. That said, a mid -October goat is a completely different looking animal than an early

Sounds like great advise. We’re planning on getting in there late July/early August.

I had a tag in a unit close to that one. I scouted during the summer, found lots of goats. Waited until later for longer hair. Hiked up in the snow a couple of times, but despite the weather being perfect down low, up high there was about 10 yard visibility, and fresh grizzly tracks in the snow. Next time I went back, the snow was too deep to even drive near the trailhead. I've also helped my son get one in November, and the hair wasn't noticeably longer than summer. If I had a chance to do it again, I wouldn't be waiting until later.

This tag and district is like the Bermuda Triangle. People draw this tag, post about it, then disappear from the face of the earth.

Lets see some scouting pictures or something! Or at least a picture of the washed out roads from the north that prevent access.
Needs to marinate for 2 years until someone comes back around and pick it up in a drunken late night text form. That's the rule of the Bermuda.....

Regarding the length of hair, based on my experience there is a dramatic difference. I killed a goat many years ago in British Columbia some where around August 20. The goat had shed its winter coat and had a very slick summer coat.

The goat I killed in Montana was taken close to October 15ish. Its hair is decidedly longer.

Here is a photo of the B. C. goat.
833A91C5-4E7C-4E03-A50E-6AD015B3591B_1_201_a.jpeg

From earlier in the tread here is the Montana goat.
987A3204-33C3-494E-819B-0BB118ADA966_1_201_a.jpeg

My guess is the OP regretted possibly putting the unit number up and got tagged in Google searches and doesn't want to leak scouting pics to others who jumped on the thread. I def understand that.

I'm sure that as a general rule that goats killed later in the season have longer hair. However, 2 of my sons killed goats that I have in my house, and the one killed October 16th has much longer hair than the one killed in November. I guess that there must be other factors involved.

Back