Montan CWD Report

DuckKing1988

So, I was just reading an article about Montana's CWD report that came out recently. I had no idea that it was so prevalent in the whitetails in southwestern Montana. Sounds like 25% or so of the whitetails have it in that area. Have any of you had any of your deer test positive for it?

Here's the article I was talking about.

I wonder why the elk seemed to have avoided CWD?

Elk typically exhibit far lower CWD prevalences nearly everywhere CWD is present, outside of a couple of range-restricted herds (Wind Cave National Park being a prime example). No one knows for sure why. Generally lower population densities? Some type of lower species susceptibility? Life history traits? Differences in social interactions and movements? Hard to say, and hard to study.

I wonder why the elk seemed to have avoided CWD?
From what I read out of Wyoming and Montana they seem to be more susceptible to Brucellosis instead of CWD. However, as Hunting Wife says certain herds do seem to have it here and there. Currently, they are unsure why that is. Even some moose have gotten it too.

So, I was just reading an article about Montana's CWD report that came out recently. I had no idea that it was so prevalent in the whitetails in southwestern Montana. Sounds like 25% or so of the whitetails have it in that area. Have any of you had any of your deer test positive for it?

Here's the article I was talking about.

That (the whitetail %) surprised me a little too. They did the same thing in region 5 a few years ago and prevalence is not that high there. It may just be how the numbers work out when you try to harvest a large number of animals to figure out prevalence. However, Yes, we had a deer that tested positive last year (region 5).

That (the whitetail %) surprised me a little too. They did the same thing in region 5 a few years ago and prevalence is not that high there. It may just be how the numbers work out when you try to harvest a large number of animals to figure out prevalence. However, Yes, we had a deer that tested positive last year (region 5).
Just curious. And truly none of my business, but did you still process and eat the deer that tested positive?

Maybe we could open up the season longer, not require mandatory testing and see how it works out. Imo every single deer that gets shot should be tested and if they can’t afford it add it on to license fees. They don’t have a grasp of the issue and are shooting from the hip.

Maybe we could open up the season longer, not require mandatory testing and see how it works out. Imo every single deer that gets shot should be tested and if they can’t afford it add it on to license fees. They don’t have a grasp of the issue and are shooting from the hip.
I believe that every deer and elk can be tested if the hunter wants it tested. Just have to go to FWP office, CWD testing station, or mail to the lab. I image there is some cost for hunters to mail in the tissue if they are not near a FWP office. But if they are it is free. Just have to wait for the results. If it is positive, you get another tag.

I believe that every deer and elk can be tested if the hunter wants it tested. Just have to go to FWP office, CWD testing station, or mail to the lab. I image there is some cost for hunters to mail in the tissue if they are not near a FWP office. But if they are it is free. Just have to wait for the results. If it is positive, you get another tag.
Thank you for the reply. I was just genuinely curious because I’ve questioned myself what I would do. I also wonder how many deer or elk that are positive get consumed unknowingly. Almost seems to turn to a what you don’t know won’t hurt you. Hahaha. Luckily, the elk that my hunting partner and I have gotten have all came back negative.

Thank you for the reply. I was just genuinely curious because I’ve questioned myself what I would do. I also wonder how many deer or elk that are positive get consumed unknowingly. Almost seems to turn to a what you don’t know won’t hurt you. Hahaha. Luckily, the elk that my hunting partner and I have gotten have all came back negative.
I feel bad for NRs that get a positive test. My view is that there is so much we don't know, and my luck is so bad, that if anyone was to be the first human to contract it it would be me.

I feel bad for NRs that get a positive test. My view is that there is so much we don't know, and my luck is so bad, that if anyone was to be the first human to contract it it would be me.
Me too!!! Hahaha. That’s pretty much my luck. I am glad to hear they will replace the tag upon a positive test. You’re right, a little tough for us NRs but the way I see it, that just gives me a reason for the wife that I’m going back 😂😂

What does colorado or wyoming do about cwd. Right know in mt u can shoot 6 or 7 whitetail bucks in certain areas. And thats what people are doing. Targetting bucks. I know several people that are up to 3 to 5 bucks this yr. Problem is the the landowners like kennedys, shuets, matador are not allowing cwd hunt to public average joe. And should we kill all the elk, moose, mule deer in those areas as well since they more than likely have it as well. And how does it affect moo cows and horses.

Whitetail populations in eastern Washington and New Jersey have dropped substantially
this past year due to disease (Bluetongue is closely related to epizootic hemorrhagic disease).
In eastern Washington it infected whitetails, but not mulies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back