monsoons

103 for a high in East Texas yesterday. Still no rain in sight and 100 + for at least the next few weeks. Wish we could at least get some cloud cover. This heat is hard on people, animals and our trees. I’ve had 2 matures oaks die within the past 4 weeks. Also saw on the news that the heat is killing the Saguaro cactus in Arizona.
At least AZ will get some rains today.
I'll be on the fringe again.
But not for long.
UT & CO to get some too.
Some smoke this morning from a lightning fire near St. Johns.
Clouds building over the Gila & White Mtns again.
Bring it.

I got rained on in the Zuni & it ended at my road...LOL
One NM weather guy just said it is the worst monsoon on record. So far.
Half to a quarter precipitation of normal.
Heavy smoke at sunset from?
Still trying to green up around here.
The Gramma is growing.
The elk/antelope food.
Trip to Reverse today and a check on the north side of the Gila.
Road rocking started yesterday on my road.
Dusty.
Maybe today.

Just spent several days working in unit 16A. It's greening up some but not like you'd expect this time of year. The tanks I looked at still have plenty of water from last year. Scattered storms seem very isolated and not producing much rain. West side of unit 16B is still fairly dry. Unit 23 is brown and very dry. Virtually no rains to speak of this summer on the south side of the Gila.

Saw some green in the Sawtooths and Datil Mtns. A patch on the plains.
Got some good showers after sundown.
Lots of thunder and lightning.
Rio was not happy with that.
Kept falling back to sleep with the sounds of water dripping into puddles.

Looks like 100's coming back to NM.
Damn.
Rain chances falling for a week.

Saw some green in the Sawtooths and Datil Mtns. A patch on the plains.
Got some good showers after sundown.
Lots of thunder and lightning.
Rio was not happy with that.
Kept falling back to sleep with the sounds of water dripping into puddles.

Looks like 100's coming back to NM.
Damn.
Rain chances falling for a week.
Hank
Kristy said there was thunder all afternoon yesterday but no rain. Got 0.3 inch at cabin last weekend. Radar looked promising yesterday. Rancher pulled cows from one adjacent allotment recently. Drying up.

Yeah I saw one go over Fox and then vanish.
Looked like the Apache Mtns might have gotten some yesterday.
Neighbor was going to put some beeves on the place next door, but is holding off now.
I was planning on a visit to your place this weekend.
Have some goodies for you kids.

Colorado has slipped into the monsoon pattern, we got 3-4" on Monday afternoon, a bit more on Tues, and rain last evening as well. It's been a real nice summer, but the biting flies at altitude are absolutely insane!

Here's a rosey picture for the Southwest. The attached map is based on precipitation totals for this summer from June 15th through July 31st - first six weeks of what would traditionally be the monsoon season. Based on 131 year record. #1 would be the wettest out of 131 years. #131 would be the driest out of 131 years. Data are regionalized, so specific locations may differ from their regional average.

precip_map.jpg

I'm in the 13 zone of CO @ 9K elev. in South Park. Welcome and familiar monsoon pattern w thundershowers or heavier rain every afternoon. Puddles on the dirt roads, wildflowers lingering, mud in tread of hiking shoes. Thinking of you two, Hank and Rio, hoping for shining times for you.

98 today. Windy.
Red flag warnings up in NM for the 1st time in Aug. , our rainy season.
3 fires burning from Farmington area to Chama.
Another near Jemez.
Monsoon moisture could be here again by Tue.
Not very green anymore.
Only a third of an inch this summer.

Observation.
I have seen no snakes on our roads. Dead or alive.
Usually some rattlers or gopher snakes laying dead on one road or another.
Good for me and Rio, but very odd.
Don't think I've seen one on my place in a year. Any kind.

Observation.
I have seen no snakes on our roads. Dead or alive.
Usually some rattlers or gopher snakes laying dead on one road or another.
Good for me and Rio, but very odd.
Don't think I've seen one on my place in a year. Any kind.
Interesting observation. Do you think there is a reason for it? Some kind of snake die-off? Or just a random coincidence?

Not to derail this thread but I went camping at a spot a month or so ago that I can usually shoot 100’s of gophers at. I seen two total. When I got out to service I called the local bio and he said he observed the same thing. His theory was that they may have winter killed due to the snow/long winter and late green up. I never think about the effect weather has on some of these other animals but since then I’ve been paying a little more attention to it.

Interesting observation. Do you think there is a reason for it? Some kind of snake die-off? Or just a random coincidence?

Not to derail this thread but I went camping at a spot a month or so ago that I can usually shoot 100’s of gophers at. I seen two total. When I got out to service I called the local bio and he said he observed the same thing. His theory was that they may have winter killed due to the snow/long winter and late green up. I never think about the effect weather has on some of these other animals but since then I’ve been paying a little more attention to it.
No shortage of rodents here.
Even had my 1st gopher in the yard this year.
Prairie dogs have gone nuts. Had hoped the plague had got them after they were late emerging.
Chipmunks are not around anymore. Good....Disney rats.
Plenty of kangaroo rats and pack rats.
Rock squirrels keep Rio busy now.
The rabbits have declined.

But the reptile thing is very odd. Even lizards are few.
I would see gopher snakes daily and kings often when I moved here.
Mojave greens were a common sight. Have not let my guard down on those.

@hank4elk I'm going to need you to work on your Raindance moves. Preferably look to the south while you're doing it!

Looks like a good chance for some rains finally this week around here. They say.
But very dry and windy north.
One fire NE of Cuba is 1500 ac this morning.

Sorry.
Homey don't dance...unless lightning is involved.
It's clouding up now.
With Rio on my feet.

In the shower just now as a cell passed. Lights dimming.
Huge red & yellow cell on radar now extends to TX.
Just missed us.
More forming over AZ.
Cool now. 75.
Come on!

Did the 2 step and mashed taters, rain.
Rio even abandoned the gravy smells for his bed.
Come on...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back