Moisture In Primers? Failure to Ignite

If your chamber is oversized, you might be sizing them but some still dont get down to spec for your gauge after a firing. If some cases stretched more, weren't lubed the same, had different levels of springback, or press was operated a little different you can have slight differences in dimensions after sizing. I dont think i've ever used a case gauge because generally speaking i only care how a case fits in the chamber it's being fired from.

This would be on my short list to check out. If the chamber is too long (excess head space) for the brass thats going into it the momentum from the firing pin is being consumed pushing the case into the shoulder of the chamber instead of smashing the primer cup against the anvil. Bergara will need to have it shipped back to them to discover this for themselves.

If you get a hold of a no go gauge or go to a local gunsmith with one and put it in there you could confirm that the chamber is too long for spec. If this is whats going on I would expect virgin cases and factory ammo to have the most trouble igniting. And brass that has been fire formed to your chamber to measure longer from case base to shoulder using a case compactor tool for your calipers. If you neck size this stuff I would expect it to fire reliably. The gunsmith may be able to screw the barrel in more or adjust the headspace depending on how your barrel attaches to the action.

Bottom line for this issue: bergara can be expected to be cheaper to fix, local gunsmith can be expected to be faster to fix.

To your post higher on the page if you pushed the shoulder back too far the FL sized brass would be worse about this than the factory loads and virgin brass. Do you have case compactors? Saw you don't... they take some guess work out of this situation. How do you set your die to achieve your desired shoulder bump?
 
This would be on my short list to check out. If the chamber is too long (excess head space) for the brass thats going into it the momentum from the firing pin is being consumed pushing the case into the shoulder of the chamber instead of smashing the primer cup against the anvil. Bergara will need to have it shipped back to them to discover this for themselves.

If you get a hold of a no go gauge or go to a local gunsmith with one and put it in there you could confirm that the chamber is too long for spec. If this is whats going on I would expect virgin cases and factory ammo to have the most trouble igniting. And brass that has been fire formed to your chamber to measure longer from case base to shoulder using a case compactor tool for your calipers. If you neck size this stuff I would expect it to fire reliably. The gunsmith may be able to screw the barrel in more or adjust the headspace depending on how your barrel attaches to the action.

Bottom line for this issue: bergara can be expected to be cheaper to fix, local gunsmith can be expected to be faster to fix.

To your post higher on the page if you pushed the shoulder back too far the FL sized brass would be worse about this than the factory loads and virgin brass. Do you have case compactors? Saw you don't... they take some guess work out of this situation. How do you set your die to achieve your desired shoulder bump?
I'm gonna shoot an elk in November. Yeah
November. With handloads I loaded probly 5 years ago. I hope. mtmuley
 
To your post higher on the page if you pushed the shoulder back too far the FL sized brass would be worse about this than the factory loads and virgin brass. Do you have case compactors? Saw you don't... they take some guess work out of this situation. How do you set your die to achieve your desired shoulder bump?
So I did end up getting a comparator and the measurements were actually shorter. The case is barely growing and even virgin brass was showing 1.624. Fire formed brass was only growing about .005 and I set the die to not even knock the shoulder back. Still had misfires. I'll just send it back for now.

I love the B-14 rifles but I am not fan so far with premier line. I had nothing but pressure issues with the first one I had and then the issues with this one too.
 
Huh well rules that out then. When the new firing pin spring went in was the firing pin channel clean and dry?

I read back a bit more carefully and it seems like you have gone thru all of these basics and yep sounds like a problem for Bergara to get after. If they want to improve on the 0/2 track record.
 
Huh well rules that out then. When the new firing pin spring went in was the firing pin channel clean and dry?

I read back a bit more carefully and it seems like you have gone thru all of these basics and yep sounds like a problem for Bergara to get after. If they want to improve on the 0/2 track record.
Yup clean. I had cleaned it out previous to swapping the pin and spring. And even before cleaning it it wasnt exactly dirty.
 
Back
Top