Caribou Gear

Mohave Green Rattler in Wyoming?

Been hunting wyoming since 2012 haven't seen a prairie rattler yet, thankfully. Have walked all over just assumed they're not in the area I hunt. Which is nice since in Florida your walking with your head down most the time looking for critters. I've walked up on pygmy rattlers, diamondback, timber rattlers, water moccasins and gators. In an area around Suwannee River one year we walked up on six timber rattlers in one afternoon scouting, left and never hunted.
They are in the area, I can just about guarantee it. If you see mice, hamsters or similar rodents or even rabbits, rattlers are likely to be around somewhere. They are more active when it's between 80-90 degrees and they are expert at cover and concealment. They can be right at your feet and you might not see them until it's too late unless you know what to look for and where to look.

This is why I prefer western WY. I guess the next thing we’ll see is @WyoDoug posting a picture of a timber rattler there! :ROFLMAO:
Here ya go man. LOL. This guy I took with my DLSR in Rock Springs. Commonly known as the midget faded rattlesnake. Range extends to the southwestern part of Wyoming, prolly not up where your cabin is though. LOL. You had to dare me man. LOL

midgetfadedrattlesnake.jpg

Here is information on them: https://2u058z4caxr2vorki3dlg1d5-wp...dget Faded Rattlesnakes _Final Report_Web.pdf

@Wildabeast: To be serious, only place I have ever seen timber rattlers is when I was stationed in Biloxi/Gulfport area in Mississippi. Down there they ate both gaters and snakes. I do know their range and the ONLY way one would be found in Wyoming is if it were put there by someone OR hitchhiked on or in something which happens now and then. Because they are found mainly in the southeast part of the US, timber rattlers probably would not survive a winter in Wyoming. Them caguns used to tell me their snake was deadlier than mine all the time.

Last edited:
Laramie's elevation is too high for them, just get to Morton Pass and beyond and you can find plenty.
I’d have to disagree with you. In the bighorn mountains up on hunt mountain road, with a elevation of over 10,000 ft, I was fixing some fencing and came across a prairie rattler. Also, came across one by prune creek in the bighorns at an elevation around 7,700 feet which is still more than Laramies.

Reactions: Oak
Found this one up in unit 23 for deer, almost stepped on him hiking in to check a camera. Heard a little rattle while glassin and just moved to the side before I looked.

Attachments

• 20200801_165811.jpg
    20200801_165811.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
We came across two dead ones in the road this last week, I thought they were Mojave greens as well, in unit 16 and I came across one on a failed stock and killed a different one on my way back to the truck

Pic doesn’t do it justice. Couldn’t believe how green it was. Nearly a perfect match to the green sage at the time. Couple miles north of Hanna, sunning on the road.DC9A2237-5C67-4A3C-AC78-3B238D590FC5.jpeg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back