Yeti GOBOX Collection

Model Seven .260

Muskeez

I have a Remington Model Seven in .260, and we never shoot it anymore. I agree a guy can never have too many rifles, but with all these new custom calibers out there, I'm wondering if there is a market for this gun? I know ZERO about gunsmithing, but is it something that others would desire to build into something new and "exotic" ?

I don't think there is really a good/bad market for the M7, they are already a niche. Price it to sell and someone will buy it. Check gunbroker or the like to get a sense of what they are going for. There are many variations of the M7, some are worth more than others. The action can easily be rebarreled to many different chamberings, but IMO most people that are going to go that far, will just spend the same money on a new rifle, mostly likely as light or lighter.

Not knowing what configuration your M7 is, it could be worth $400-maybe $700. I've been shopping them for a few months looking for a 223 or 204. Not a ton listed compared to other makes, but again, not a huge market for them either, I don't think.

I think there is a market for Rem 7's. Not sure if the 260s have the twist for some of the heavier 6.5 bullets so you could lose some because of factory twist. Do a bit of research and put a price down and share some pics. Worst thing is you can put it back in the safe for a later date.

Agree with above. Post some pics of it. There are plenty of different M7s. If priced well it will sell easily.

The .260 is alive and well with many shooters, BUT it has been overshadowed by the Creed. The biggest problem-in some eyes-may be the slower-twist barrel. I look at it a bit differently, though. I have two, .260s and two, Creeds. There is hardly any difference in ballistics between them, but if you like heavier bullets, the Creed wins due to the way it fits in a short magazine. I run heavier bullets in my Creeds and generally use 130-grain type bullets in my .260 for this reason. That rifle should shoot 130-grainers very well and will do very well in the hunting fields. It would make a nice re-barrel, too.

I bought one used and cut the stock down to a 10 in LOP and put a wide view 4 power scope on it with a strap on comb and use it as a kids rifle when I take young kids hunting. My daughter killed her first buck with it when she was 7 years old. Loaded up some 100 grn nosler partitions at about 2400fps and the recoil is very mild and since the rifle has an 18in barrel the kids can handle it and absolutely love shooting it. Its a great gun for the youngsters

I have owned a model seven chambered in .260 since just before it was offered as a factory gun from Remington.
Great little deer rifle that is super accurate, and hits harder than most would expect.
Wouldn't trade mine for the world.
A good used one is generally worth $500-$600, on average.

88man, That's pretty much what I have done with this gun. I cut the stock down but added a Limbsaver recoil pad. LOP is now 12". It was the first rifle I bought when we decided to start hunting out west. My girls have all taken antelope with it. It has the laminated wood stock. I'll post some pics in a month or two when I quit hunting so much and have time to sell it. Thanks for the confidence that there's still a market for it guys! PS. It shoots 129 grn partition bullets pretty well. I tried solid coppers and they flew all over due to rate of twist.

88man, That's pretty much what I have done with this gun. I cut the stock down but added a Limbsaver recoil pad. LOP is now 12". It was the first rifle I bought when we decided to start hunting out west. My girls have all taken antelope with it. It has the laminated wood stock. I'll post some pics in a month or two when I quit hunting so much and have time to sell it. Thanks for the confidence that there's still a market for it guys! PS. It shoots 129 grn partition bullets pretty well. I tried solid coppers and they flew all over due to rate of twist.
You mean 129 Interlocks? Don't think that Partitions come in that weight. My go-to, for my .260s is the 129 Interlock at 2950 fps.

Those M-7’s are hard to beat for a lot of applications. I shot my M-7 SS 7-08 today. That 260 always had my attention but I never picked one up. I plan on cutting the stock down for my boys in a year or two.

I've got an up and coming young antelope hunter next year. Let me know when your ready to part with it. Might be just what I'm looking for.

Remington still offers a model seven in .260 and I think that it's still going to be a great cartridge for years to come. Not as easy to find factory ammo for as the Creedmor. But many places sell ammo by mail order.

Remington still offers a model seven in .260 and I think that it's still going to be a great cartridge for years to come. Not as easy to find factory ammo for as the Creedmor. But many places sell ammo by mail order.

The Model Seven is also offered in the 6.5 CM.

Model 7 is a nice light gun.

Only down side to the 260 is more than likely that barrels twist is too slow to use the newer bullets...

I won a Model 7 260 from Safari Club a few years back. Thought it would be a great rifle for my daughter. She is a great shooter, but hunter no. Put a Leupold scope and bore sited the rifle. Oiled it up and sits in my closet today.

My daughter may want it eventually; if not, a gift to brother, nephew or niece. Nice rifle; I take it out and handle it occasionally. Never fired.

Back