MN Turkey Season

mconway951

Took a friend of mine out this weekend to hunt turkeys for his first time. We sat through a cold rainy day on Sat with few birds spoted, got cold and wet...really wet. Sunday was complete opposite was a beautiful day had toms gobbling off the roost in every direction for miles up and down the river valley. Had a nice bird come in but couldnt seal the deal he couldnt get a shot with to much brush between him and the old weary bird and it bolted before even getting close to the decoys. Neever saw us but didnt like something.
Went to visit a farmer buddy of mine and he said he had seen some birds out back of the barn every day for last 2 weeks he took us anb showed us. Sure enough they were out in the fresh seeded oats. He explained that they crossed the hay field and the newly planted corn and tucked into the pasture every day. We made a plan and snuck out in front of them like clock work they showed up 5 hens in front and 3 toms in the rear. One of the hens was a silver phase bird with 2 black spots on her back and one copper color spot on her breast...ida given anything for that to be tom.

The toms struted around for a few minutes and i hit the mouth call to bring them outta strut and in a few seconds both tags were filled. Congrats to my buddy Joe on his first bird i think hes hooked on this turkey stuff

Attachments

• Mike2012.jpg
    Mike2012.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 203
  • joe2012.jpg
    joe2012.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 203
  • JoeandMike.jpg
    JoeandMike.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 203
Gotta love when a plan actually works. Good job.

Nice birds, what part of the state were you hunting? I have been listening to birds gobbling behind the house for the last couple of weeks, I might have to get a tag right in Andover next year.

Congrats! I skipped turkey hunting this season. I never get anything anyway besides ticks on me for days on end. Of course, they strut all around me during deer season, squirrel hunting, driving to and from the woods right in front of my car...

Emrah

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back