Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MN Moose numbers down again

StrutNut

I have been asking that same question for years. I went to college in Duluth (1998-2003), and spent alot of time in Moose/Wolf country. It seemed like an obvious dynamic at play. Let me think, calf mortality is going up at the same time the wolf population is blowing up. Weird? I think if you talk to a CO up in the arrowhead they would confirm your belief.

Also see the below link, looks like we might get a crack at hunting wolves too. At the bottom of the page they talk about Wolves impact on big game

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/wolves/mgmt.html

StrutNut

I have been asking that same question for years. I went to college in Duluth (1998-2003), and spent alot of time in Moose/Wolf country. It seemed like an obvious dynamic at play. Let me think, calf mortality is going up at the same time the wolf population is blowing up. Weird? I think if you talk to a CO up in the arrowhead they would confirm your belief.

Also see the below link, looks like we might get a crack at hunting wolves too. At the bottom of the page they talk about Wolves impact on big game

I went to UMD from 1997-2002. Just watched the DVD of the 2011 National Championship Hockey game last night :D

As far as the Moose, I hate to hear the numbers are down again especially since they don't seem to know whats going on. I was fortunate to hunt Moose in MN in 2006 but would like to think m y boys will someday get the chance.

MNHunter-

Small world. That was an awesome game, I almost gave up my Twins opener tickets to go to that game, in hindsight I should have.

I am applying this year for moose. I hope both our kids have the chance. I will do my part and apply for one of those wolf tags to try and keep the moose around.

You still up in the Duluth area?

MNHunter-

Small world. That was an awesome game, I almost gave up my Twins opener tickets to go to that game, in hindsight I should have.

I am applying this year for moose. I hope both our kids have the chance. I will do my part and apply for one of those wolf tags to try and keep the moose around.

You still up in the Duluth area?

I didn't get to go to the game either. Spent the night at the W hotel in MSP...a night on the town. Got to watch the winning goal in Manny's. Probably looked funny jumping up and down.

If you don't already have a spot picked out for moose, try to draw area 31. Great area and I have a few local contacts. Hell, if you draw and want company I'll tag along and get you a moose.

I live in Rosemount now and work in St Paul.

Got to love Manny's.

I have been looking at 29, 31 and 80, but if you reccomend 31 it sounds good to me, and I would love some help if you are willing. What did you use on your hunt? I would like to get a moose with my bow, but will probably bring a rifle to increase my odds on a once-in-a-lifetime tag.

Sending you a PM with my contact info. I work in Saint Paul as well, and I would be interested in hearing more about your moose hunt.

StrutNut

I don't hunt that part of the state, but from what I've heard, people have already been taking a crack at them! Hopefully they will make it legal soon and more of them will get taken out.

I plan on putting in for both moose and wolf as well. I gotta spot near Moose Lake loaded with wolves. I have a contact that used to sell Mack Trucks to loggers in Duluth that has always been helpful in giving me ideas as to where to go, I just never get drawn. My dad has been putting in for years and never has been drawn. I wish my son was a couple of years older so he could put in with me and at least get the experience before they cancel it permanently. My sister lives up in Duluth and is a Bulldog fan. I went to MANKATO State, not MN State. My college is gone in my eyes.

Got to love Manny's.

I have been looking at 29, 31 and 80, but if you reccomend 31 it sounds good to me, and I would love some help if you are willing. What did you use on your hunt? I would like to get a moose with my bow, but will probably bring a rifle to increase my odds on a once-in-a-lifetime tag.

Sending you a PM with my contact info. I work in Saint Paul as well, and I would be interested in hearing more about your moose hunt.

I used a rifle on my hunt. I drew on my first attempt in area 31. I didn’t know anything about the unit other than it had the most tags and the lowest odds of drawing. I had a couple buddies tag along anf they deer hunted while I hunted moose. It was a very fun hunt and in the end I took a smaller bull (they eat good though!). It was a lot of work to get that bull out of the woods in 80 degree weather but well worth it. I’d love to go again but no one I know has ever drawn a tag. I still have all my notes, research, contacts, maps, etc if any of you draw 31. Good luck!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back