Yeti GOBOX Collection

MN Moose numbers down again

StrutNut

I have been asking that same question for years. I went to college in Duluth (1998-2003), and spent alot of time in Moose/Wolf country. It seemed like an obvious dynamic at play. Let me think, calf mortality is going up at the same time the wolf population is blowing up. Weird? I think if you talk to a CO up in the arrowhead they would confirm your belief.

Also see the below link, looks like we might get a crack at hunting wolves too. At the bottom of the page they talk about Wolves impact on big game

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/wolves/mgmt.html

StrutNut

I have been asking that same question for years. I went to college in Duluth (1998-2003), and spent alot of time in Moose/Wolf country. It seemed like an obvious dynamic at play. Let me think, calf mortality is going up at the same time the wolf population is blowing up. Weird? I think if you talk to a CO up in the arrowhead they would confirm your belief.

Also see the below link, looks like we might get a crack at hunting wolves too. At the bottom of the page they talk about Wolves impact on big game

I went to UMD from 1997-2002. Just watched the DVD of the 2011 National Championship Hockey game last night :D

As far as the Moose, I hate to hear the numbers are down again especially since they don't seem to know whats going on. I was fortunate to hunt Moose in MN in 2006 but would like to think m y boys will someday get the chance.

MNHunter-

Small world. That was an awesome game, I almost gave up my Twins opener tickets to go to that game, in hindsight I should have.

I am applying this year for moose. I hope both our kids have the chance. I will do my part and apply for one of those wolf tags to try and keep the moose around.

You still up in the Duluth area?

MNHunter-

Small world. That was an awesome game, I almost gave up my Twins opener tickets to go to that game, in hindsight I should have.

I am applying this year for moose. I hope both our kids have the chance. I will do my part and apply for one of those wolf tags to try and keep the moose around.

You still up in the Duluth area?

I didn't get to go to the game either. Spent the night at the W hotel in MSP...a night on the town. Got to watch the winning goal in Manny's. Probably looked funny jumping up and down.

If you don't already have a spot picked out for moose, try to draw area 31. Great area and I have a few local contacts. Hell, if you draw and want company I'll tag along and get you a moose.

I live in Rosemount now and work in St Paul.

Got to love Manny's.

I have been looking at 29, 31 and 80, but if you reccomend 31 it sounds good to me, and I would love some help if you are willing. What did you use on your hunt? I would like to get a moose with my bow, but will probably bring a rifle to increase my odds on a once-in-a-lifetime tag.

Sending you a PM with my contact info. I work in Saint Paul as well, and I would be interested in hearing more about your moose hunt.

StrutNut

I don't hunt that part of the state, but from what I've heard, people have already been taking a crack at them! Hopefully they will make it legal soon and more of them will get taken out.

I plan on putting in for both moose and wolf as well. I gotta spot near Moose Lake loaded with wolves. I have a contact that used to sell Mack Trucks to loggers in Duluth that has always been helpful in giving me ideas as to where to go, I just never get drawn. My dad has been putting in for years and never has been drawn. I wish my son was a couple of years older so he could put in with me and at least get the experience before they cancel it permanently. My sister lives up in Duluth and is a Bulldog fan. I went to MANKATO State, not MN State. My college is gone in my eyes.

Got to love Manny's.

I have been looking at 29, 31 and 80, but if you reccomend 31 it sounds good to me, and I would love some help if you are willing. What did you use on your hunt? I would like to get a moose with my bow, but will probably bring a rifle to increase my odds on a once-in-a-lifetime tag.

Sending you a PM with my contact info. I work in Saint Paul as well, and I would be interested in hearing more about your moose hunt.

I used a rifle on my hunt. I drew on my first attempt in area 31. I didn’t know anything about the unit other than it had the most tags and the lowest odds of drawing. I had a couple buddies tag along anf they deer hunted while I hunted moose. It was a very fun hunt and in the end I took a smaller bull (they eat good though!). It was a lot of work to get that bull out of the woods in 80 degree weather but well worth it. I’d love to go again but no one I know has ever drawn a tag. I still have all my notes, research, contacts, maps, etc if any of you draw 31. Good luck!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back