Caribou Gear Tarp

MN Bear How Big???

miles

Metro area black bear... Bait is getting hit but not regularly yet. Anyone care to guess the size? The barrels are 35 gal and the ground slopes down and away from them.

Attachments

• MFDC0396.jpg
    MFDC0396.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 625
  • MFDC0398.jpg
    MFDC0398.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 623
  • MFDC0402.jpg
    MFDC0402.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 631
  • MFDC0413.jpg
    MFDC0413.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 625
Looks on the small size to me. Big ears so presumably small head. If it's legal and makes you happy let em have it!

I would say he is probably an above average bear taken in MN; maybe approaching 5ft / 200lbs. He still looks fairly young with those ears. Maybe a 3-5 year old? I am not an expert, but that would be my guess.

Tough one! His ears look big, but he's got a slight belly hanging down.

I think he's a good bear, just with genetically big ears. They are slightly on the side of his head. His face has that mature look. I'd definitely shoot him.

I would say he is probably an above average bear taken in MN; maybe approaching 5ft / 200lbs. He still looks fairly young with those ears. Maybe a 3-5 year old? I am not an expert, but that would be my guess.

I would agree. Above average cause a lot of guys now are pulling the trigger in MN/WI on 120-150lb bears.

If you're looking at size, he's a younger bear, probably 3 years or so old and I base that on our bear in PA. Has a belly sag, and tough to tell based on the surroundings but would guess around 200 lbs. Look at that hog by Hearteater - that's a no brainer!

Yup, and I would submit that 4 1/2ft and 150lbs is probably the average for the entire lower 48.

Patient of mine just got back from Ontario hunt, where guys in the camp went 8 for 9...average was like you said around 150...2 really small ones at 95lbs and 120. He shot the biggest that week at 360lbs. He even said the guy from down south shot the 95lber on the first day of a 5 day hunt.

Maybe this will help I am 5'9" and 210 lbs with a 30 inseam... Seems like everyone is across the board. He is big enough for me, I am hoping I get a chance at him so we can get a real weight. I figure for hunting the metro area of MN harvesting a self guided bear is an accomplishment.

Attachments

• MFDC0012.jpg
    MFDC0012.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 426
I'd be curious exactly how "metro" this spot is?

That nice belly sag may be due to a healthy supply of food. He;d got a good body on him, but he is a younger bear.

Since this is likely in the no-quota area, This is as nice a bear as you will likely find. A young boar who has staked out his own area.

I'd be curious exactly how "metro" this spot is?

That nice belly sag may be due to a healthy supply of food. He;d got a good body on him, but he is a younger bear.

Since this is likely in the no-quota area, This is as nice a bear as you will likely find. A young boar who has staked out his own area.

I live in Andover, and there has been a pretty nice boar hanging out all summer within a few miles of my house.

30 minutes to St Paul makes it metro to me. but maybe I am wrong. I have only harvested 2 bears in my career. I shot my first bear 20 years ago and I thought it was a giant when i saw it... it was 125 lbs. The second one's belly almost rubbed the ground ended up being a 14.5 year old dry sow that was a little over 300 lbs that was in 1998. Its funny how life can get in the way of hunting, I really have only had time for whitetail since then. I am happy to just get out there again, I don't want to shoot a "small" one but I guess we will see if I even get a shot. A self guided bear hunt while working a full time job plus overtime while having 2 little kids and a third on the way is not an easy task. Thanks for all the input guys hopefully I will be able to post some harvest pics in the near future.

i think that bear is bigger and older than people are giving him credit for. big ears doesn't necessarily mean a small bear or head. i have seen confirmed 15+ year old bears that weigh 400+ lbs with B&C skulls have ears like mickey mouse (arizona bears have notoriously big heads though). look at the hanging gut and roman nose on that bear. definitely a boar, and i think he is a mature bear (5-10 years old) and might weigh up around 300lbs.

Here are some more pics those barrels are 20" wide by 32" tall.

Attachments

• MFDC0466.jpg
    MFDC0466.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 368
  • MFDC0454.jpg
    MFDC0454.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 367
  • MFDC0451.jpg
    MFDC0451.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 356
  • MFDC0439.jpg
    MFDC0439.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 360
  • MFDC0438.jpg
    MFDC0438.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 366
  • MFDC0437.jpg
    MFDC0437.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 364
  • MFDC0459.jpg
    MFDC0459.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 364
You probably ought to stick an arrow in that guy. I would agree any bear you can get in the no quota area is a good bear. If you need recipies for cooking him up, I know there are some guys on here who can share some.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back