Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mixer recommendations

Butcher

First off would you guys even recommend a mixer for mixing fat and seasoning? I’ve read a lot of reviews on various mixers and many seem to be a hassle to take apart and clean. Debating on if it would be easier to just have the family do it by hand? It would mainly be used to mix fat with burger. If you guys do have one you recommend please share. Thanks

All depends on how big of a batch you are going to make. 5 pounds or so you can probably do by hand. Much more than that and it will be a workout. Not to mention the fat will melt on your hands. Running everything through a grinder will help. I bought a mixer for doing my sausage and salami mixes. It handles up to 25 pounds of meat but I've never had that much in it.

You can run it all through your grinder together to mix, and stuff but a meat mixer is the cats meow. It mixes the seasoning a lot better, more evenly. And while you are buying get a upright sausage stuffedr too.

You can run it all through your grinder together to mix, and stuff but a meat mixer is the cats meow. It mixes the seasoning a lot better, more evenly. And while you are buying get a upright sausage stuffedr too.
I agree with this and @Dave N. That said Do Not buy this one:
20230222_165524.jpgI've used other mixers that were great. Wife and boys got me this one for Father's day last year so I could stop borrowing my parents. I don't have the heart to tell then that it's a pos. So I use it then take it out and re-mix by hand.

All depends on how big of batches you are making. We normally do 300-600lbs every year I bought a 44lb mixer. Most of our batches are 25lbs and it handles it amazingly. Only thing I wished is I would have got the one that tilts down. Yes they are a hassle to clean but way easier to do that many lbs than by hand with cold meat.

Do you guys have a brand preference? And I would assume with a gear box right? We usually do 10+ deer a year so it probably would save time. We dont grind everything but we do eat a lot of burger

Thin pair of cotton gloves covered with a pair of nitrile or latex and you are good to go for batches up to 25#, mix it by hand.

Dad spent three decades running a big Hobart. When we asked about buying him a small one as retirement present he just laughed. They are nice when doing big batches, but we spent more time cleaning them than using. Do a good hand mix with your coarse grind, run it through the grinder a second time, and you're good to go.

Do you guys have a brand preference? And I would assume with a gear box right? We usually do 10+ deer a year so it probably would save time. We dont grind everything but we do eat a lot of burger
We use a cabelas brand. It is a hand crank but has two positions for the crank. If you are mixing summer sausage or anything with pink salt it gets pretty tough to crank at the end.

If I did buy one I would buy one that fits on my grinder. So far everyone I know that has bought one feels its just as easy to hand mix in a tub as it works as good and clean up is easier. Neither guy I know uses theirs much at all. Both guys I know have cabelas brand grinders and mixers.

This one is cheap enough to try out. The version I have runs about $150. Cleaning is not bad.

This one is cheap enough to try out. The version I have runs about $150. Cleaning is not bad.
This is the brand I use, just the next size up which is 44# (7 gallons). Clamp it to the table and have at it..
If I'm making less than 30lbs of sausage ( very rarely) then I'll mix by hand , but most the time it's well over 100 lbs in multiple flavors and that's where the mixer kicks ass. Slide the handle off and attach a variable speed 1/2" drill if that's your style.

I don't mix my venison with anything but do butcher 3-4 hogs every year and make several kinds of sausage.
We just blend the spices in by hand in a big plastic tub, then run it through the grinder and have good results. A mixer would just be one more thing to clean and wash.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back