Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Missouri Breaks help

muskybuck

Hello everyone !! First post looking for some pointers.
I purchased Montana Big Game Combo Licenses for my 14 yr old Grandson and myself a couple weeks ago with plans on hunting the Missouri Breaks the first week or so of November.

I could sure use some help on where would be a good place to hunt. I would love to hunt somewhere without ATV's scooting around. What sold me on the Breaks were pictures of the hills with pine trees in the low spots and it looked so good.

I am 60 years old this August and figured I do not have that many years left to do this so I jumped in. My Grandson and I are pretty darn excited and any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

I guess we will go after muleys north of the river.
Pretty quiet on here I guess.

I guess we will go after muleys north of the river.
Pretty quiet on here I guess.

The breaks cover a large area and are very popular, but even then, most people are not too keen on telling someone exactly where to go on the web where anyone who googles "hunting" and "breaks" will get to read it.

There are quite a few roads in a lot of that country, but it doesn't mean you can't get away from some of them. Look at some maps and satellite imagery and you will get an idea of where to go.

Good Luck

Good luck hunting muleys. You might be in for a tough hunt if your looking for a big buck. You can cover a lot of that country and not see much. Wouldn't be my first choice.

I have friends that tag deer out there every year. No real monsters, but you never know. I'm thinking about heading out myself for deer. It's been about 9 years since I had my Breaks elk tag, and I have always wanted to get back. mtmuley

With some hunting you should find a buck, don't expect a hawg. I wouldn't get hung up on the breaks...there are a lot of deer a lot of places in MT.

I've hunted both the n and s for elk over the course of a number of years. Found a few descent sheds and a few on the hoof, but the days of old are gone. I wouldn't and don't hunt for deer in the breaks. There are good bucks, just not many and you need to know what your doing. I would stay east. Lots of public land with rolling hills. The ne produces good deer with little pressure doing to pop. Get some maps and contact fwp for blm to work. That's what I'd do. Sorry to bag on the breaks, hunt them every year just not for deer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinerbt
Back