Minnesota Whitetail inaction - Try the same place again?

E-Rock

Hey y'all, yes, I am hunting minnesota, just looking for thoughts on what you guys would do.

This last weekend rifle hunted for white tail in minnesota. It was a new public land spot to my dad and I, only walked around it a few weeks back and found some trails and sign. Nothing really great, but nothing bad either. However, this weekend we were sitting with highs in the upper 60's and sunday had about 20-30 mph winds. Lets just say we didn't hear a lot of gunshots around and my dad only caught a glimpse of a deer. It is in a higher deer density unit as Ag is around within a few miles and such. With the heat and weather, I think deer movement was suppressed.

This next weekend its looking to have highs in the 40's so should be more normal to cooler temps. Would you look at it one more day and see it if was a weather thing? Or try and find a new location and try your luck there?

Hey y'all, yes, I am hunting minnesota, just looking for thoughts on what you guys would do.

This last weekend rifle hunted for white tail in minnesota. It was a new public land spot to my dad and I, only walked around it a few weeks back and found some trails and sign. Nothing really great, but nothing bad either. However, this weekend we were sitting with highs in the upper 60's and sunday had about 20-30 mph winds. Lets just say we didn't hear a lot of gunshots around and my dad only caught a glimpse of a deer. It is in a higher deer density unit as Ag is around within a few miles and such. With the heat and weather, I think deer movement was suppressed.

This next weekend its looking to have highs in the 40's so should be more normal to cooler temps. Would you look at it one more day and see it if was a weather thing? Or try and find a new location and try your luck there?
Tough call. I would give it another chance. With the heat I wouldn't be shocked if most deer were staying fully nocturnal. Only other thought is its been hit too hard already and the deer avoid it now?

What are your other options like? For gun seasons I like sitting predicted travel paths, that way when people start bumping deer I'm set up on escape routes. Works most the time, but I'm in SD where escape routes may be a slight valley in the prairie... haha

Tough call. I would give it another chance. With the heat I wouldn't be shocked if most deer were staying fully nocturnal. Only other thought is its been hit too hard already and the deer avoid it now?
Ah, forgot to mention, opening weekend of gun hunting here in MN. There was an mid october youth hunt in the state, but not sure on dates and what locations that applies too. But yeah, we mostly sit tree stands and on travel routes. and mostly if we break its later in the morning and a quick lunch and get back out there so the ones that left early or get there later in the day will move deer to us.

As for options, there is a ton of land around, county and state forests. Its just going into the unknown on when the actual woods looks like.

I bet its nice being able to see a bit longer than a hundred yards in the woods... ha

Ah, forgot to mention, opening weekend of gun hunting here in MN. There was an mid october youth hunt in the state, but not sure on dates and what locations that applies too. But yeah, we mostly sit tree stands and on travel routes. and mostly if we break its later in the morning and a quick lunch and get back out there so the ones that left early or get there later in the day will move deer to us.

As for options, there is a ton of land around, county and state forests. Its just going into the unknown on when the actual woods looks like.

I bet its nice being able to see a bit longer than a hundred yards in the woods... ha
Pluses and minuses I can say that about seeing miles at a time ha!

If it were me personally, since you don't know the lay of the land the best. I would sit the same spot in the morning. Around mid day I'd try to sneak in a little scouting to see if there is a better spot in the area. Maybe more sign, better trails, rubs, scrapes, etc. If you find something better set up on it. If you don't see anything better head back to your original spot.

I play this issue in my head all the time when I'm sitting in woods on public bow hunting. Its tough and it seems like I always make the wrong call ha. But you may end up finding a great spot for future years as well. This year I stumbled upon a great bow spot finally, haven't been able to due it justice with all the stuff that was thrown my way this year, but it was promising the first half a dozen sits I was there!

If it were me personally, since you don't know the lay of the land the best. I would sit the same spot in the morning. Around mid day I'd try to sneak in a little scouting to see if there is a better spot in the area. Maybe more sign, better trails, rubs, scrapes, etc. If you find something better set up on it. If you don't see anything better head back to your original spot.
That does sound like a good idea. Get to a spot I know right away to be there before sun up, but then game plan from there. It is a tough situtuation of, "maybe a better spot is 100 yards away" ha. But at least walking around you can get a feel for the different area of the woods.

I’ve hunted a very productive area in N central MN that was totally quiet one year when the opener temps were in the 60’s.

I would not relocate. I’d spend Friday scouting to find some areas within your existing spot that look promising for cruising bucks during daylight hours.

Deer sign (beds, tracks, scat, rubs, scrapes, etc) can be deceiving because much of this can just show nighttime deer activity, especially if it’s far from daytime doe bedding areas.

There chasing really good now, if you have deer sign around i would stick it out. There will be bucks, but it's all about being in the right place at the right time. Been seeing a lot of bucks and alot hitting the dirt this year, but nothing i want to shoot yet. If you got does they should make a mistake sometime, good luck. My 2 cents

They were moving all weekend a little south of you in Todd County. My kids did really well, with my 2 boys shooting their bucks in the rain yesterday. I would find the food. Then you will have the does. the bucks will find the does. Dont make it more complicated than finding the food.

I would not relocate. I’d spend Friday scouting to find some areas within your existing spot that look promising for cruising bucks during daylight hours.
Definitely taking Friday off early from work, so this does sound like a good idea. Its a pretty decent area to explore. So checking out a new area within, expand where i was at might be the best. And if i play the wind right while scouting and stay quiet enough maybe I will run across one.

There chasing really good now, if you have deer sign around i would stick it out. There will be bucks, but it's all about being in the right place at the right time. Been seeing a lot of bucks and alot hitting the dirt this year, but nothing i want to shoot yet. If you got does they should make a mistake sometime, good luck. My 2 cents
I like these two cents, I think, as other have posted, I just need to drill down on where better sign is. Some has been found, but not the best. And as mentioned could be nighttime sign. Thank you!

They were moving all weekend a little south of you in Todd County. My kids did really well, with my 2 boys shooting their bucks in the rain yesterday. I would find the food. Then you will have the does. the bucks will find the does. Dont make it more complicated than finding the food.
Definitely. I have some people hunting in a relative area near Bertha, and they had good sightings of deer. But yes, find the food. Working on it in the woods! Its a decent size track of woods so identifying the food sources there and locating them does take time or knowledge to find especially in a new area. The walking around on friday, or mid day saturday in lieu of a break for lunch may be my best to get a little more acquainted with the area. and then if it looks like trash, sunday is a fly by my pants to a different spot if the sightings are low or gunshots are few. If I heard more gunshots around me, it would tell me there are deer around, I just suck at finding a spot, but it was pretty dead over the weekend.

Hunting in eastern ND on a good chunk of private I and my family own - got lots of cameras out. I’m telling u up until about yesterday the mature deer Were completely nocturnal then it switched with this colder weather and the action is heating up big time . Last weekend was awful no movement and just nothing happening so it’s not just you

I would absolutely give it another go. The warm temps and high winds certainly kept the deer laying down except the wee hours of daylight on either end.

This weekend's weather will bring them back on their feet. And...it's still the rut man. Get out there.

I feel your pain! I have had the same feelings, "should I stay or should I go?" I believe that if you see the sign in the area, the deer are there, just wait them out. You can continue to bow hunt into December. I am hoping to find a good one now that the woods have quieted a bit since rifle is over.

I feel your pain! I have had the same feelings, "should I stay or should I go?" I believe that if you see the sign in the area, the deer are there, just wait them out. You can continue to bow hunt into December. I am hoping to find a good one now that the woods have quieted a bit since rifle is over.
Definitely. However, i ended up with covid, so I'm locked up for a bit but will hit it hard next week when its more socially appropriate for me to leave the apartment to go hide in the woods.

Back