Caribou Gear

Minnesota bull.

I'm still shocked that they live in this state!
Can you tell me more? Was it a reintroduction effort like we have in my state and several other surrounding states or is it native herds? I didn’t realize they had elk in Minnesota.

Can you tell me more? Was it a reintroduction effort like we have in my state and several other surrounding states or is it native herds? I didn’t realize they had elk in Minnesota.

Mainly reintroduction, but a herd crosses over the border from Manitoba. Agricultural interests have essentially blocked any further expansion of the herds. They are also working on a reintroduction in parts of NE MN that is being opposed by ag folks in that area.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/elk/index.html
Relocating 27 elk in 1935 from the captive herd at Itasca State Park to northwest Beltrami County near Grygla eventually produced a breeding population. It wasn't until the early 1980s that elk native to Manitoba crossed the Canadian border to calve and spend summers in Kittson and Roseau counties.

Couple more articles:

This was a crazy story from almost 10 years ago. Sugar beets will grow some big antlers apparently.

Maybe it's mosquito protection for a bald head. Don't know the guy. Don't know the story. Reportedly taken near Lake Bronson, way up by the Canadian border.

Mainly reintroduction, but a herd crosses over the border from Manitoba. Agricultural interests have essentially blocked any further expansion of the herds. They are also working on a reintroduction in parts of NE MN that is being opposed by ag folks in that area.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/elk/index.html

Couple more articles:

This was a crazy story from almost 10 years ago. Sugar beets will grow some big antlers apparently.
Thank you for the info.

Must be nice not to have to hike to the top of a mountain to get one! Nice bull for sure.

What strain of elk they put in Minnesota that are completely rubbed off and dark horned by mid August?

SeasonDatesZoneLicenses available
Bull-only licenses
Antlerless licenses
Either-sex licenses
AAug. 22-30203
BSept. 5-13203
CSept. 19-27203
DOct. 3-11203
EOct. 24- Nov. 1203
FDec. 5-13203
GAug. 22-30204
HSept. 5-13204
ISept. 19-27204
JOct. 3-11204
KOct. 24- Nov. 1204
LDec. 5-13204
MSept. 5-13302

It was 90 degrees a few days ago up here - I doubt one would wear a winter hat like that. I am guessing this picture did not occur this week. But exciting none the less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back