Minnesota 2020 Season

Driving home on Friday evening, I made the decision to hunt a totally new piece of ground on Saturday. I have one that's been marked on my onX since the summer, but I haven't had time to get down there. I awoke a little later on Saturday and made the drive down, planning to scout my way into a saddle that separated a swamp and some thick timber at first light.

There were a few other cars parked when I arrived but this WMA is pretty large. I quickly got dressed and started making my way through the woods towards the saddle. Sneaking was entirely out of the question, as the heavy frost and dead calm wind combined to make the forest floor incredibly noisy - I did my best.

I made it to the saddle without much fanfare but was surprised when I crossed an old two track right where I was intending to set up. Thinking this would be a quick access for later, I chose a tree and climbed. The morning was again uneventful, but this hunt was more of a scouting mission than anything. I climbed down about 9:45 and decided to walk that old trail to see where it took me. This property is rather peninsula shaped with parking on the north and west. The trail ended up taking me the entire length of the peninsula south, and then making a hard turn back north. I marked a few likely locations and followed one very obvious deer trail into the thick stuff opposite of where I sat. The trail eventually dumped into the lot where my car was. I did not backtrack and walk the trail to the north, but am confident that is a straight shot to the northern lot.

While I didn't see any deer on this hunt, I made sure to take note of this property. This is the second "must scout" property I've added to my to do list for this winter / spring. The mix of timber and swamp has some serious potential, I just need to figure out how the deer are using it.

SatAMNew.jpg

I have to compliment you on your dedication! You sure seem to have bad luck. I cannot imagine sitting as many times that you have and not see a deer.

I have to compliment you on your dedication! You sure seem to have bad luck. I cannot imagine sitting as many times that you have and not see a deer.
This has actually been one of my most successful seasons as far as sighting since I've been in MN. I've put some serious emphasis in not hunting the same properties over and over, as well as the same spots. I think that's helped. I've also driven quite a bit farther away from the Cities which I think helps the pressure some. This has been the season of "close". If one or two things go differently I'd have multiple deer at this point.

I have not forgotten our PM conversation from last year. I have it marked on my map but struggle to find a day where I can get up there.

My buddy hunted it for one hour on one day. Missed a nice 8 pointer. I pheasant hunted the other side and that might even be better as it has a food plot just off the public.

If I was hunting public land, I would buy the best waders money can buy and use them.

My buddy hunted it for one hour on one day. Missed a nice 8 pointer. I pheasant hunted the other side and that might even be better as it has a food plot just off the public.

If I was hunting public land, I would buy the best waders money can buy and use them.
I am starting to look at wader access spots a lot more now. Another adjustment for next year. I've got my eye on a piece south of me that I think waders would completely eliminate every other hunter. Good advice!

Happy belated new year everyone! I got out once more in Michigan for a late doe hunt with my dad. It was great to go hunting with him again, something I need to prioritize and do more often. I ended up seeing one little buck over there but with only doe tags available he walked.

All in all this season was a blast! I learned a whole bunch, including some new properties that are added to my repertoire for future seasons. I also practiced my butt off all spring and summer and took my recurve in the field for the majority of my hunts this year. That was an amazing feeling and something I will no doubt continue to do.

My plan heading into the season was to bounce around a bunch in hopes of always hunting a fresh spot. That seemed to pay off for me in terms of deer sightings, as I think I saw more deer this season than the previous two combined.

I'm planning to take a bit of a break from the weekend excursions and recharge the batteries. Post season scouting and small game are next on the menu as soon as life calms down a little bit. Thanks to everyone for following along this season!

Two Contractor garbage bags work great for disposable use to get across thigh-high streams!

That's actually a great idea. I stashed a pair of hip waders one season at one of my spots where I had to cross a small brook in/out of the area but this is definitely a lightweight alternative for "what ifs".

Edit: beats taking you boots off and rolling up your pants to cross a stream in November...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back