MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Minnesota 2020 Season

I purchased a Samick Sage recurve this spring and have been shooting it virtually every day that the weather allows. I am very much intent on hunting with a recurve this fall, and am feeling confident at this point that I believe that will be a reality. I have always been enamored with the aesthetics of a one piece recurve and knew that I would be purchasing the Sage to make sure I'd take this style of archery seriously. Having been really enjoying shooting trad, I decided to purchase a new one piece recurve and received it the other day!

It's a Timberhawk Strike, 41 @ 28. It's gorgeous, quiet, and accurate! Shooting it for the first time this week, I am even more excited to hit the woods this fall with it!

Strike.jpg

I'm officially a licensed Wisconsin nonresident fisherman for a few days starting this Thursday. My fiance and I are meeting my parents in Oshkosh and renting a place on lake Winnebago for a long weekend. Should be a great time, with plenty of fishing, lounging in the boat and general nonsense all around!

After that, It's full on hunting mode for me. We will have just under 3 weeks left until archery opener when we return, so about that time to start getting gear sorted and all the licenses purchased.

Woke up to a 'Congratulations' email from the MN DNR. I was successful in drawing the LE WMA that I put in for, the same one as last year! I was a little bit surprised, as they don't publish the actual draw date but I was told by the woman who accepted my application that drawing would be on or after August 19. I figured I didn't draw, with it being a week after that date. Apparently she really did mean the "or after" part!

I'm a little torn on what to do with this property. Last year was my first year hunting it, and I did so rather extensively. I certainly have all those waypoints marked, but if I am recalling I think I only saw a handful of deer on the place during the season. That being said, I have a few of those "where not to hunt" spots figured out.

My plan is to get out there the first weekend of September and have a look around. There is a creek that runs through a portion of the WMA and it's pretty nasty and thick in that area. I plan to take my waders and walk the creek to see what's what. With any luck, I'll find a little swampy hole that'll peak my interest!

Back from Wisconsin after a much needed long weekend of R&R. We fished our butts off, and did get into a few here and there. It was our first time to Lake Winnebago and holy hell is that lake HUGE. We caught fish every day, and the overwhelming majority were freshwater drum that we tossed back. I can honestly say I didn't know what was on the end of my line when I reeled the first one up! We mixed in a nice smallmouth and walleye, but beyond that it was all drum. They were definitely fun to catch!

On the first day of September it is noticeably cool here at home and the countdown to hunting season is officially on. I plan to buy all my licenses this week and get out to scout the WMA during this cool stretch. T-minus 18 days until the archery opener!!

Got a chance to get out and scout the LE WMA yesterday and didn't find much for sign, which was a little surprising. I took my waders and first went up the little creek. I had marked a spot that I thought looked like it had potential, but I couldn't find a way through a huge cattail slough to get to it. I ended up jumping out on the backside of a small cornfield that I think will hold some serious potential once the crop is down, but as of yesterday the field edge was void of any tracks.

After checking the field I hopped back in the creek and proceeded downstream. Things opened up a bit in that direction but again not much in the way of sign. I did manage to find and mark one spot that looked good, but the converging trails didn't have any tracks in them. I popped back out into another small field and made my way around the edge, back to the trail to the car. I took a drive around the perimeter of the property and corn was planted in virtually every field. I am thinking that perhaps the deer are spending the majority of their time in the fields right now which might explain the lack of sign in the woods.

I do have one more spot to check out on the WMA that I hunted a bit last year. It's a big, oak covered hill in the middle of a sea of crops. Hoping for more sign on that piece!

MBRB orientation was held last night, but rather than an in-person meeting this year it was over Zoom. Some good information, mostly around the CWD mandatory testing regulations the park is under for the year. After getting through the list of dos and don'ts, we selected our desired zones. Zones are chosen in the order you were drawn, and being 14th I would be right in the middle of the pack. Fortunately, I was the second person to choose Zone 1, which I have been in the last two years. I've grown to know this area pretty well and already have a loose idea of where I want to set up, pending a quick scout.

Zone 1 is the northern zone that is roughly outlined in red. It has a good mix of cover and open timber, with small ag fields sprinkled around the surrounding private property. I will be hunting in this zone with 5 other hunters. The next step is to scout and take coordinates of my stand location so that they can be sent to the hunt coordinator. I am hoping to be able to get that done on Friday during the lunch hour!

Zone1.JPG

Stopped by Zone 1 on my lunch break today so that I could scout and send my stand location to the hunt coordinator. I knew the area, but needed the spot within the spot. I ended up spending some time walking the transition between an overgrown, weedy opening and some timber. I eventually followed a well worn trail into the timber a short ways and found what I hope to be a promising spot. As I was standing at the base of the tree, I came to the realization that I was still thinking as if I was a right handed shooter, and that particular tree would have me doing gymnastics in order to shoot left handed. Oops!

A short time later I found a suitable tree about 180 degrees and 10 yards from my original choice. I'll have to do a bit of trimming and concealing, but it will work just fine. As I was walking back out I sent the coordinates and pin to the hunt coordinator. I am officially ready to hunt the park once things open up later this month!

Got out for my final scout of the season on Sunday. I headed for an area on the map that I'd never been to before and was pleased with the amount of sign I found. I entered the area with three waypoints marked as possibilities. Waypoint 1 overlooked an overgrown meadow of sorts and had a decently worn trail heading east/west, which seemed to be travel to/from the standing corn to the east. I found a suitable tree that would give me good coverage of the area and made my way south to Waypoint 2.

Waypoint 2 had an incredible amount of sign. It sat at a wooded pinch point between another overgrown patch and a standing corn field. This one had two deer highways intersecting, one heading north/south and another heading east/west. I quickly found a suitable tree and took a mark. This one got me excited.

v.jpg

Waypoint 3 ended up being way too thick to access in any way that wouldn't blow out all the deer. That's a good thing, and something I took note of as intel. I scratched that waypoint off my list of huntable locations and headed back to the car feeling pretty good about the trip.

We've entered the home stretch before the season kicks off on Saturday. I'm trying to balance actually doing some real work this week with prepping for the opener. I've got a few things yet to do, including making sure my pack is squared away and shooting a few more arrows, but other than that the weekend cannot get here soon enough!

Well, we've nearly made it now! Less than 24 hours to go and I'll be hitting the woods for the first hunt of the year. They are calling for a SSE wind so I'm planning to hunt the middle waypoint I scouted last weekend. I'll have to get a little creative with my entry, but I'm planning to wake up plenty early enough to make my way into the area well before first light.

I took some time today to shoot a few more arrows and make sure my pack was properly changed over from turkeys to deer. It's all over but the waiting now!

gear.jpg
gear2.jpg

I awoke just slightly before my 4:20 am alarm on Saturday and was filled with excitement. I was the second vehicle to the parking spot that morning, and it was a very crisp 43 degrees as I was getting dressed. My plan was to walk east along the edge of a standing cornfield until I hit the treeline, then turn south and continue down the woodline until I hit the little pinch point I'd call home for the morning.

I was surprised to find that the corn had all been cut sometime in the last week. No problem, that meant less hiding spots, and the walk was certainly easy. Everything changed once I hit the woodline. What was supposed to be a quick stroll down the edge turned into me fighting through a sea of briars, only finding out exactly how long they extended down the edge when it was way too late to turn back. I ended up making my way through, but not without making a ton of noise in the process. I arrived at my spot drenched in sweat, but victorious over the damn briars. Ascending the tree, I spent the next 3.25 hours watching squirrels go about their business. I climbed down at about 10:15 and took a track on my way out so that I'd avoid the briar patch in the future. It was a bit of a production, but the first hunts always are!

1.jpg

Sunday morning I again woke before my alarm. I decided to let the area from Saturday rest a bit and check out another property that I'd scouted during turkey season. This one was a little further out from my house, and the 45 minute drive down seemed to take forever. I arrived at the parking spot well before first light and was happy to see I was the first person there. I quickly dressed and headed in. Unlike the day prior, the corn around this piece was still standing. I followed the edge of the field around until I hit the trail that would take me to the tree. Once I hit the trail, it was smooth sailing. I was up and set a little before first light, but not quite as early as I'd hoped. The walk in the dark always seems to be longer than anticipated.

I sat for the first hour without seeing much. Then, a lone doe made her way down the trail and to my right. She passed a big tree just off my shoulder and was standing about 8 yards from my tree, broadside. I pondered the shot, but this was a zone in which I did not have a valid doe tag and I did not want to use my either sex tag so early in the season as that would mean surrendering my archery buck tag for the remainder of the year. I passed, and she moved on. The remainder of the sit was uneventful, but I was happy to have gotten into deer on day 2 of the season.

2.jpg

Final draw of the season was apparently held recently. I received a notification from the overseeing department that I'd been successful in drawing. Similar to MBRB, that one has an online orientation and allows hunters a few weekends in November. Going 3/3 on the special permits is definitely a good way to start the season!

MBRB Period 1 was this past weekend. We set up our stands on Thursday at noon and I was in and out as quickly as I could be.

I awoke slightly before my alarm on Friday and made it to the sign in location right after 5 am. A short drive and walk later, I was in my stand well before first light. The south wind was perfect for my stand setup as I access from the north, and am overlooking a trail that runs to my south and east/west. Hopes were high as I sat and listened to the woods wake up around me. Shortly after first light the wood ducks started piling into the protected pond near my stand. I couldn't see them clearly, but their constant calls kept me occupied for the morning. I ended up sitting until about 10:30 without any action. I climbed down and headed home to grab a quick bite to eat before heading back for the afternoon sit.

clry.jpg

clry1.jpg

After grabbing some lunch and relaxing for a while, I headed back out. I was back on stand at 3:10 pm and boy was it warm! 84 degrees is something I'll never complain about in late September, but I worked up quite a sweat walking into and climbing my stand. Woodies and squirrels again occupied my eyes and ears as I waited for something to come along one of the trails. At 7 pm I caught movement on the south trail heading my direction. A lone doe was making her way in, ever so slowly. As she hit the trail intersection she became incredibly wary and tried to figure out what the humanoid blob hiding in the tree was. She wasn't spooking, but also wasn't sure. She turned to the west and was working across my face, broadside. As she passed behind a tree I shifted slightly to begin drawing. My boot tread caught something on my platform and made the slightest sound. Already wary, she took a few bounds and stopped to figure out what that was.

Now on my strong side and still at about 15 yards, she paused for a minute before getting back to her milling around. She made her way around my right side, almost fully obscured by heavy brush. I was just about to hang my bow back up when she did an about-face and made her way back into an opening. A shot opportunity was looking better and better! The doe stopped and stood at 12 yards broadside. However, she knew something wasn't right and was staring a hole in me, doing the classic look away for 2 seconds then snap back in my direction. I just needed her to turn her head 90 degrees the other direction and I would be able to draw. That, however, was not in the cards. She kept this routine up for about 5 minutes before eventually disappearing back into the thick stuff and out of my area. I was happy she didn't spook, but was oh so painfully close to having a shot!

Friday ended with me having logged a little over 8 hours in the tree and one deer to show for it. Others in the park were a little more successful, as we took 3 deer as a 24 person group.

Saturday was to be much cooler than Friday, and my alarm was met with enthusiasm. I again made it to the sign in right at 5 am and was on stand with about an hour to go before first light. The day played out much like the one before, except for one major difference - no deer. Woodies and squirrels, a break for lunch and some rest, and back at it shortly after 3 pm.

I logged another 8 hours on stand with nothing to show, and in fact there were no deer seen by anyone on Saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back