MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Military in Albuquerque New Mexico

USAFgunner

Hey all! My very first big game hunt and I drew 16B, 22 for Elk and 21 for deer. I drew any Fork antlered deer and any Elk. I was born and raised in California then got out of that place ASAP at 17 and joined the USAF. This is now the third time living in NM but first with a successful draw. I hope to buy an OTC bear tag for the trip also. I could really use some help and tips and knowledge for Elk and especially the Gila. My only source of knowledge, my dad, passed away and I never got to hunt with him as an adult. I will be taking his ashes with me this time, maybe good luck, maybe bad luck but we will see!

Welcome from El Paso, Texas. I hunted 16b for elk about 10 years ago. I did not score but did see elk. It is nice country. 21 is also a good unit for deer.

I've not personally stepped foot in 16B, but I've done enough research on it to know go in with a plan and know your capabilities. Horses will get you further in and are great for getting meat out. If you're hiking in don't go in too far where you're not able to get the meat out quick enough and it spoils. That seems to be a common issue in that unit. If you don't have a solid hunting buddy yet I recommend looking for a friend or two who are interested in photography or camping. Have them come spend a week in the field with you and you have extra packers now.

Get on some of the NM hunting pages on FB. There are lots of USAF guys who have hunted there and can probably offer advice.
Or bring a case of beer down to the SERE shop and see if anyone is willing to talk.

I did 4 years at Cannon and miss NM so much.... trying to get back.

Good luck and have fun on your hunt.

Welcome! There are several NM facebook hunting groups and, likely better, a NM chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. Lots of good folks around NM and most seem pretty willing to talk and help. Searching around here will get you some good info as well. I'm in CO but have hunted and helped others hunt in NM, never those units though, spend a fair bit of time in ABQ too. Apply as a resident as often as you can. Good luck, zoomie! (Grunt, here)

Welcome aboard ! Thanks for your service, my brother just retired from the USAF his last 18 years was flying Pavehawks doing combat rescue now he relocated to Albuquerque as a contractor, good luck on your hunts. Welcome to Hunttalk

Welcome from a fellow (retired) zoomie! My brother the pilot will be taking mom and dad's ashes up with him to scatter over their beloved Smokies soon. All the best to you.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back