Midwest deer hunters

I’m from the Midwest and have deer hunted for nearly 25 years and I still have yet to kill something over 150. Every one that comes here thinks theres a 200 inch behind every tree. Either they are hiding really well or I suck that bad! Lol my bro in law inherited 50 acres of prime deer, food plot ground and he could absolutely careless. Goes out 1 time and shoots a buck and talks about how rough it is. Its 10x worse when its family and they are social media mongrols lol dont Get me started on the in laws. Fwiw this was a rough year hunting public and I would like to say that is due to a lot of youtube promoters but thats a nother subject and seasons over, I’ll get over it. Phew I feel better

i was talking to a co worker who is starting to have interest in hunting in his mid 30's.

i was excited to maybe start imparting some knowledge, maybe going out some time, he wants to get his kids into it.

then he started talking about the bow his wife bought him for christmas, then he said something to the effect of "yeah, i just can't possibly ever imagine having any interest in gun hunting, i want this stuff to be challenging"

oh, bro. well, have fun with your annual september hikes i guess.

that's usually how hunting conversations go in colorado. cam hanes and his ilk are turning bow hunting into a cancer. change my mind.
A lot of people are changing hunting entirely into it. Change my mind.

I’ve said it in other posts. I’m a believer that Midwest deer hunters are just as agile and as knowledgeable, if not more, than western hunters. White tails on the public land they have are way harder to hunt than any other animal that I’ve hunted. And there’s people that do it year over year. You guys are mythical creatures.

That’s the whole problem…..real Midwesterners don’t drink Miller Lite. Labatt Blue and/or Molson Canadian are what the real Midwesterner’s drink while talking about how to manage deer herds
Yep, in WI they drink the crappy New Glarus stuffff :)

then he started talking about the bow his wife bought him for christmas, then he said something to the effect of "yeah, i just can't possibly ever imagine having any interest in gun hunting, i want this stuff to be challenging"
Lol she's gonna be buying him a rifle next Christmas.

"6.5 Creedmoor is the caliber you wanted right babe?"

I’m from the Midwest and have deer hunted for nearly 25 years and I still have yet to kill something over 150. Every one that comes here thinks theres a 200 inch behind every tree. Either they are hiding really well or I suck that bad! Lol my bro in law inherited 50 acres of prime deer, food plot ground and he could absolutely careless. Goes out 1 time and shoots a buck and talks about how rough it is. Its 10x worse when its family and they are social media mongrols lol dont Get me started on the in laws. Fwiw this was a rough year hunting public and I would like to say that is due to a lot of youtube promoters but thats a nother subject and seasons over, I’ll get over it. Phew I feel better
Illinois PRIVATE (boo, hiss) land deer hunter since 1975. Killed my first deer, a 7 point Eastern count, in '76. I don't keep track but pretty sure I've killed more bucks than does. Just lucky, I guess! Doesn't matter because I agree with "you can't eat antlers". Lost count of how many I have taken over the years but the harvest pins I have says over 80. I lost some pins, and they didn't have them when I started deer hunting, so let's say 90 or so. After all those years and deer taken with shotgun slugs, archery and muzzleloader I haven't taken any huge bucks. In fact, I've only seen one while hunting. Don't really care too much. My best one is in my avatar pic and I'm guessing 130ish? Just. Don't. Care. I enjoy it. I enjoy the meat and things I make with it. I enjoyed sharing my stands with my daughter. I enjoyed the expressions on her face when I killed one when she was too small to hunt but was there with me as well as the ones that SHE killed while I was her "guide". Not a big fan of the guys that make a big deal about how good they are, how good their shot was, they only shoot big bucks and are never going to kill a doe, pick the story that fits the blowhard.

Lazy? Maybe when compared to folks in Western states who spot and stalk their deer. If you want to count effort and willpower to keep trying no matter the weather or animals seen because the season is so short as not being lazy I think I usually have that covered. I know this thread was mainly started tongue in cheek but it kind of made me think. Good days or bad, lots of deer or barely a squirrel, miss a shot or connect with a good one. I LOVE DEER HUNTING! Even with the current situation at home I got out and killed a couple this year. It makes me happy. I'm a Midwestern deer hunter.

Illinois PRIVATE (boo, hiss) land deer hunter since 1975. Killed my first deer, a 7 point Eastern count, in '76. I don't keep track but pretty sure I've killed more bucks than does. Just lucky, I guess! Doesn't matter because I agree with "you can't eat antlers". Lost count of how many I have taken over the years but the harvest pins I have says over 80. I lost some pins, and they didn't have them when I started deer hunting, so let's say 90 or so. After all those years and deer taken with shotgun slugs, archery and muzzleloader I haven't taken any huge bucks. In fact, I've only seen one while hunting. Don't really care too much. My best one is in my avatar pic and I'm guessing 130ish? Just. Don't. Care. I enjoy it. I enjoy the meat and things I make with it. I enjoyed sharing my stands with my daughter. I enjoyed the expressions on her face when I killed one when she was too small to hunt but was there with me as well as the ones that SHE killed while I was her "guide". Not a big fan of the guys that make a big deal about how good they are, how good their shot was, they only shoot big bucks and are never going to kill a doe, pick the story that fits the blowhard.

Lazy? Maybe when compared to folks in Western states who spot and stalk their deer. If you want to count effort and willpower to keep trying no matter the weather or animals seen because the season is so short as not being lazy I think I usually have that covered. I know this thread was mainly started tongue in cheek but it kind of made me think. Good days or bad, lots of deer or barely a squirrel, miss a shot or connect with a good one. I LOVE DEER HUNTING! Even with the current situation at home I got out and killed a couple this year. It makes me happy. I'm a Midwestern deer hunter.
It was tongue in cheek...😉

I’ve said it in other posts. I’m a believer that Midwest deer hunters are just as agile and as knowledgeable, if not more, than western hunters. White tails on the public land they have are way harder to hunt than any other animal that I’ve hunted. And there’s people that do it year over year. You guys are mythical creatures.
Around here it seems that public land turkeys are harder than deer to kill. I've spent a few years chasing them on public and anybody that gets a turkey on public has my respect.

Around here it seems that public land turkeys are harder than deer to kill. I've spent a few years chasing them on public and anybody that gets a turkey on public has my respect.
I’ve had really good success in the Ozarks for turkeys, but the deer hunting was tough as hell.

I’ve also come to dislike gun hunting from tree stands- cold, boring, and irritating to hear everybody else getting their shot. Archery is a hoot, with better weather, and I really like watching the blue jays in the deep oaks. And the chance to take a Turkey if one walks by.

About 20 years ago Indiana implemented a "one buck rule" that only allows one buck per year no matter the weapon. There are exceptions but your average everyday hunter is only allowed one buck per year. Harvest has increased and quality of bucks has definitely increased but you will still hear guys complain about it.

About 20 years ago Indiana implemented a "one buck rule" that only allows one buck per year no matter the weapon. There are exceptions but your average everyday hunter is only allowed one buck per year. Harvest has increased and quality of bucks has definitely increased but you will still hear guys complain about it.
Wouldn't mind seeing that here.

In my neighborhood, I've found that anyone who shoots a deer that's bigger than a fork horn has usually shot an "older deer, probably on the decline" Usually it's a 2.5 year old deer. Also, lots of 220 lb field dressed 2.5yr old deer.....no one owns a scale....and...160 field dressed does are fairly common....no one owns a scale.....you get the picture.

Sitting here sharing camp with some friends of friends. Midwest deer hunters are the laziest and most informed bar stool biologist there are...change my mind. I've literally "learned" more in the last two hour miller lite session than any biologist could have in 10 lifetimes, if anybody needs to learn anything just ask....

#spikesarespikes4life.
Your problem is you are hanging with the Miller Lite crew. Find yourself the Busch Light (Latte) crowd if you want the most accurate information…

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back