Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Midwest deer hunters

Nick87

Sitting here sharing camp with some friends of friends. Midwest deer hunters are the laziest and most informed bar stool biologist there are...change my mind. I've literally "learned" more in the last two hour miller lite session than any biologist could have in 10 lifetimes, if anybody needs to learn anything just ask....

#spikesarespikes4life.

I would love to kill a 5 year old spike. I'm sure a few have existed somewhere, I've never seen one though.

Did you get an education on wolves to. Lots of those "experts" around my neck of the woods
No wolves down here, im all the way down in the southernmost tip of the state this week so they don't get brought up much. However I'm sure if I ask I will recieve a thimble of knowledge. Got the old can't eat the horns lecture..."I pass on big bucks cuz they don't eat near as good" yah you do.

I genuinely wonder where the spikes are spikes for life thing comes from. It's such a weird idea and I've never heard a spike truther explain it. Also, technically every button buck is a spike right?

I genuinely wonder where the spikes are spikes for life thing comes from. It's such a weird idea and I've never heard a spike truther explain it. Also, technically every button buck is a spike right?
Yah idk where that comes from but in this part of the state nearly 80% I'd say of the yearlings I see are spikes.

I live in MN. It's pretty bad. I like talking deer hunting with people, the but second the convo goes towards management/wildlife biology/etc. I steer it away quicker than if they brought up politics or religion. Hard to imagine scenarios where people can be so nasty and 100% factually incorrect at the same time.

The westies do have their ways of being annoying too tho.......

Get yourself a subscription to Illinois Outdoor News and read the "Letters to the Editor" section.

Its actually a really good newspaper. I just shake my head when I read that section.

There's always been alot of illegal crap that goes on around my area but as soon as there is a year with low deer numbers it's always the DNR mismanaged everything and they don't know what they are doing.
Oh that's gotta be one of my personal favorites.

We got da deer all figgered out in da midwest just nobody ta listen to us, dontchaknow?

It’s all da wolves fault anyways. Dere moving south da DNR just doesn’t wantcha ta know about em!

A common thread is the nonsense is usually based around feeling better about their actions or failures.
"The genetics just aren't good enough around here" (5% of the bucks live past 2 YO)
"Shot this old gray faced buck" (1.5 yo that happens to have more white hair around eyes than average)
shootin the piss out of does and blaming the DNR for lack of deer. (valid, the DNR shouldn't have given these clowns the opportunity at so many does)

My parents have land in northern MN and I'll say that wolves are a legitimate PITA. Put a bunch of work into improving property and it attracts more deer which attracts more wolves, which makes the deer disappear for a while.. Much harder to pattern deer up there than south of wolf territory. I still see more mature bucks up there than on my land in central MN with notably higher deer density, no wolves, but much easier to hunt habitat that results in few making it to maturity. But at least a guy sees deer consistently.

Last edited:
Sitting here sharing camp with some friends of friends. Midwest deer hunters are the laziest and most informed bar stool biologist there are...change my mind. I've literally "learned" more in the last two hour miller lite session than any biologist could have in 10 lifetimes, if anybody needs to learn anything just ask....

#spikesarespikes4life.
You misspelled Hunt Talk and double IPAs! 🤣🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
i was talking to a co worker who is starting to have interest in hunting in his mid 30's.

i was excited to maybe start imparting some knowledge, maybe going out some time, he wants to get his kids into it.

then he started talking about the bow his wife bought him for christmas, then he said something to the effect of "yeah, i just can't possibly ever imagine having any interest in gun hunting, i want this stuff to be challenging"

oh, bro. well, have fun with your annual september hikes i guess.

that's usually how hunting conversations go in colorado. cam hanes and his ilk are turning bow hunting into a cancer. change my mind.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back