MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mid-September Elk Archery Hunt Elevation

AZbywayofWI

Hey Guys,

My buddy and I are doing an OTC Archery Elk Hunt in Colorado the 3rd week of September, after the full moon and just before the Fall Equinox. I feel like the rut should be in full swing and close to it's peak, correct me if I am wrong. My question is, what elevation should I be looking for them at? Most of the area I have planned to hunt is between 9,000-12,000 feet and consists of some hard to reach (wilderness) with lightly timbered basins, drainages, heavy timber and steep mountain sides. The area was recommended to me by a Game Warden and I feel like it would be a good spot for pressured Elk to seek refuge especially since there is a muzzleloader season at the same time as the archery hunt. I have been reading some articles and I am concerned about whether or not I am to high in elevation for that time of the season? Do you guys think I should focus on areas below 9,000 feet or will I find Elk and rut behavior at 9,000 feet and above?

Thanks so much for the help!

Moon phase and elevation are IMHO total extraneous variables. There are units in CO where the highest point is ~7500 there are some units where the valley floor is at 10k.

All of the I have killed or successful hunts I've been a part of have been around 8500-10k.

Most likely you’ll find elk in steep terrain with difficult access. The elk I have killed in Colorado have all been over 10,500’, and one at 11,500 in November a few years ago. I’ve had the most success going “up” to difficult to reach areas; 1 mile from the road and 2000’ above it in my experience is better than 4 miles back on an easy trail. I wouldn’t get to hung up on a specific elevation.

Most likely you’ll find elk in steep terrain with difficult access. The elk I have killed in Colorado have all been over 10,500’, and one at 11,500 in November a few years ago. I’ve had the most success going “up” to difficult to reach areas; 1 mile from the road and 2000’ above it in my experience is better than 4 miles back on an easy trail. I wouldn’t get to hung up on a specific elevation.
Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back