Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mid 50's retirees question

My purpose is to wake up each morning and not have to do a damn thing if I so choose.
Todays chores are get trees fertilized and get meat in Carne Asada marinade for dinner. My choice.
Why retire to have to take a menial job for a fraction of the $$$?
As a retiree myself and being on a fixed income that $300 might come in handy for play toys. A year is nothing but a blink of the eye. Then again, you are the only one that knows if you are miserable going to to your current job. $300 isn't worth being miserble.
Retirement is not as great as it seems. Unless you have retired buddies with the same interests, hiking, fishing, etc alone gets boring. Waking up without a purpose is strange also.

2 sides of the retirement coin. Some of us are better with structure, a routine, the direction and social connection work can provide. Others prefer to make their own way without a job structuring their time and interactions. Retirement has complicated or damage many marriages because of different routines and expectations. Get an accurate sense of how you and your family will respond to the big change of retirement. Many like me decide to continue some part of work that is meaningful during retirement. I just work half as often as I used to, and see that gradually winding down. Now I enjoy my work much more than when it was my full time obligation. Either way, congratulations.

Last edited:
On Day 2. When will my body and brain realize I do t have to be up at 5:30 and working. Brain turns on thinking about work and I struggle to get back to sleep

Nice having coffee on the porch with wife rather than working

Not worth staying. Spent many years doing your same job. Left the minute I could. You won't miss the extra $300, but in 10 years you will miss not having a year of what would have been the most active time of your retirement. Time is priceless. Just get out while you have your health. The LE gig is a good place to be from these days.

I’ve come full circle from when I first read your post originally. I have two years before I can retire from the military and they are going to be LONG years. I now fully support your decision to punch out a little early. It’s not worth being miserable every day of that extra year. Your sleeping clock will adjust soon enough, although it is rather nice to be up early in the morning with nothing but time on your hands and the agency to decide what to do with it!

On Day 2. When will my body and brain realize I do t have to be up at 5:30 and working. Brain turns on thinking about work and I struggle to get back to sleep

Nice having coffee on the porch with wife rather than working
Congrats on the retirement. It took several weeks for me to stop waking up at 2am for work and I used to wake up dreaming about work.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back