Caribou Gear Tarp

Messed up BMA maps

onx runs my phone's battery dead so fast that I am going back to paper topo maps and use the compass on inreach. I will admit to being totally frustrated with electronic shit, and I am surely doing something wrong on my end. It is great for locating property lines though, which I rarely do. I also have an old gps that was given to me that I can partially run.

Electronically frustrated boomer, formerly known as Chad
I rocked mine for 5 days without needing a charge.
Airplane mode
Battery Saving mode

^^ Good questions. Not sure what the tracking feature does to the battery life. I didn't use tracking and the phone held a charge very well.

onx runs my phone's battery dead so fast that I am going back to paper topo maps and use the compass on inreach.

Same. I'm not sure how to reduce the power usage other than closing it out. Its constantly keeping track of you if the program is on, and running in the background. I imagine there is a way to turn off the app so it won't run in the background. I have 2 other GPS programs that work as well, that don't use as much power and use them 95% of the time.

If I’m in the hills or lacking good cell coverage I pack a Anker power cell to keep the phone charged. Also carry paper maps.
The BMA maps that are property specific at the regional HQ are detailed on boundaries. At least detailed enough to compare on BLM maps etc. The large fold out regional map is ball park on where unit is located.

Last edited:
^^ Good questions. Not sure what the tracking feature does to the battery life. I didn't use tracking and the phone held a charge very well.
Tracking can eat up battery but there is ways to lessen it. As previously mentioned, airplane mode, low battery mode, and then make sure your phone is staying warm when its in your pocket or hip pouch etc. I throw mine in my hip pouch while hunting and wrap it in a glove or extra beanie, then when i stop to glass or eat i plug it into a portable power pack. Never had any issues.

Back