PEAX Equipment

Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking footwear

I have owned lots of pairs over the years for walking shoes/light hiking. Wouldn't use them for hunting but I guess they'd get a Texan from the truck to the climate controlled tower stand. Keen Targhees are pretty similar.

I like the merrell: light, breath well but not waterproof...basically a gym shoe. There my daily walk around, bank fishing type boot in summer. Would never wear them around cactus or in pack carrying situation. Had the salomons and they were a lot more boot,way more than what i wanted for my summer use. Had a pair of keens that were pretty good just wore quickly.

Never had the mids. The lows lasted 3 months wearing everyday for work.the keen targhees are about the same. I have been wearing a pair of oboz for about 4 months and they are doing good!

Last edited:
I absolutely love mine. I have foot problems including extremely fallen arches, plantar fasciitis, and broke my right foot years back so it’s about a half a size bigger than the left. I also wear a size 13.5-14 so finding a good fit is hard. I wish I could get back all the money I’ve flushed over the years on boots that don’t work and special insoles.

The MOAB 2 has been the best boot for me without a doubt. Anyone who only got three months out of them must tight rope walk on razor wire for a living. And if they only lasted three months, you could get them replaced for free or credited.

I wear mine basically November-April and wear them to every hunt I go on. Twice I’ve switched to them mid-hunt when my other boots let me down ($350 Lowas that leaked and gave me a bad blister and Keens that slid all over my heal). I even hunted in 2ft of snow with the MOAB lows and gaiters for a couple days.

My Lowas literally started falling apart before I could get them broken in (toe cap fell off, eyelet ripped, quick lace broke) and they never were waterproof. My lowly MOABS just had a seam on the toe box split after hundreds of miles and are still somehow waterproof.

For low country day hunts I think they are great. They don’t have great ankle support, but I don’t need much ankle support (I got some real cankles and in 15 years of competitive sports I had exactly one sprained ankle).

The Merrell Phaserbound (yes an unfortunate name) use the same footbed, heal, and toe box as the MOAB, but are full grain leather, taller, and much stiffer. I use them when I need more support. I’m also thinking of trying the new Kenetrek Corrie 3.2 Hiker this year. They might bridge that gap for me between the MOAB comfort and a stiffer mountain boot.

With any boot you’re going to get a variety of opinions. I have those boots and they hurt my feet. I stand on my feet all day as a contractor and I’ve been wearing Schnees for a long time. I wanted something cheaper to work in. The Merrells just didn’t cut it. It sucks that I have to wear $400 boots to work, but my feet never hurt.

I’ve used the Merrells for daily shoes, but I much prefer the Salomon X ultra lows I’ve been using lately.

Had the low version. A heavy dew would soak straight through to my socks. They're fine trail shoes though.

Have a pair for my yard work/knock around town shoes. Comfortable and fairly lightweight. I don’t hunt or hike in them. I think they’re just your average $95 mid boot.

I’ve been wearing those as my everyday footwear for the past few years. To me they are more of a shoe. I have wide feet and they fit my feet well. They would be ok for easy hiking on well worn trails. IMO not good for hiking rugged terrain and not good for hunting.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back