Caribou Gear Tarp

Meopta Optika 6 Review

Gravelyctry

I told Mr Schmalts I would post a review of this Meopta scope once I got it mounted and shot a bit, so here goes.

I was looking at glass for a squirrel rifle and knew I wanted something around 15x max magnification and maybe 4x on the low end. After a few months of debate, I finally consigned myself to getting another Leupold VX5 3-15. I have a couple of them on other rifles, and am very satisfied with them. So I reached out to Mr Schmalts and told him what I was thinking about. He suggested the Meopta Optika 6, and it was quite a bit less $ than the VX5. After reading some reviews of Meopta scopes online, I thought I’d give it a try.

So Schmalts sent me the Meopta Optika 6 2.5-15 power. 30mm tube, illuminated reticle, side parallax. I know, maybe it’s overkill for a squirrel rifle but I’m ok with having too much scope on this gun. When I opened the box, my first impression was wow, this thing‘s a tank. Not in a bad way, but really gave me the idea it was very well built and made well. Schmalts did tell me it was a few ounces heavier than the VX5, so it wasn’t completely unexpected.

The controls are nice - large enough to grab with gloves on. The zoom adjusts from 5-15 power in about a quarter turn, and the parallax adjustment covers much of the adjustment range in a quarter turn as well. The parallax adjustment ranges seemed to be spot on as well, even though I only tried them from 25 to 100 yards.

The illuminated dot appears very well defined with multiple brightness settings. The scope adjustment detents are nice and crisp clicks. No mushiness and no accidentally missing clicks when adjusting.

The glass was really bright and clear - there was just a little bit of distortion at max zoom at the very outer edges of the field of vision. Its actually hard to see, and really a non issue. My zero didn’t change at all when shooting at 2.5x or 15x.

I did a little box test at 50 yards in 20 MOA steps and the adjustments were spot on. I went up 20 MOA, right 20 MOA, down 20 MOA, and then left 20 MOA. My last Shot was touching the first shot, so it returned to zero quite well. I know not everyone thinks the box test is a good way of validating a scopes tracking or adjustment, but it’s a quick and easy thing to do.

I’m super impressed with this scope, and I’ll likely be getting another one for another rifle that followed me home a few weeks ago. If you can get past the few ounces difference, it really seems to be a super product.

Thanks to Mr. Schmalts for the recommendation and providing such a great option.

Neil

I told Mr Schmalts I would post a review of this Meopta scope once I got it mounted and shot a bit, so here goes.

I was looking at glass for a squirrel rifle and knew I wanted something around 15x max magnification and maybe 4x on the low end. After a few months of debate, I finally consigned myself to getting another Leupold VX5 3-15. I have a couple of them on other rifles, and am very satisfied with them. So I reached out to Mr Schmalts and told him what I was thinking about. He suggested the Meopta Optika 6, and it was quite a bit less $ than the VX5. After reading some reviews of Meopta scopes online, I thought I’d give it a try.

So Schmalts sent me the Meopta Optika 6 2.5-15 power. 30mm tube, illuminated reticle, side parallax. I know, maybe it’s overkill for a squirrel rifle but I’m ok with having too much scope on this gun. When I opened the box, my first impression was wow, this thing‘s a tank. Not in a bad way, but really gave me the idea it was very well built and made well. Schmalts did tell me it was a few ounces heavier than the VX5, so it wasn’t completely unexpected.

The controls are nice - large enough to grab with gloves on. The zoom adjusts from 5-15 power in about a quarter turn, and the parallax adjustment covers much of the adjustment range in a quarter turn as well. The parallax adjustment ranges seemed to be spot on as well, even though I only tried them from 25 to 100 yards.

The illuminated dot appears very well defined with multiple brightness settings. The scope adjustment detents are nice and crisp clicks. No mushiness and no accidentally missing clicks when adjusting.

The glass was really bright and clear - there was just a little bit of distortion at max zoom at the very outer edges of the field of vision. Its actually hard to see, and really a non issue. My zero didn’t change at all when shooting at 2.5x or 15x.

I did a little box test at 50 yards in 20 MOA steps and the adjustments were spot on. I went up 20 MOA, right 20 MOA, down 20 MOA, and then left 20 MOA. My last Shot was touching the first shot, so it returned to zero quite well. I know not everyone thinks the box test is a good way of validating a scopes tracking or adjustment, but it’s a quick and easy thing to do.

I’m super impressed with this scope, and I’ll likely be getting another one for another rifle that followed me home a few weeks ago. If you can get past the few ounces difference, it really seems to be a super product.

Thanks to Mr. Schmalts for the recommendation and providing such a great option.

Neil
How would they hold up to recoil on a 300 win mag? I’m really impressed with my meopta s2 spotter and was thinking about putting this scope on my 300. Is @schmalts the guy to ask?

If they just didn’t have that big ugly magnification ring on it…….

Made me consider the Meostar line.

If they just didn’t have that big ugly magnification ring on it…….

Made me consider the Meostar line.
It's a love it or hate it thing, and I don't like it. I am going to see the Meopta reps at the SHOT show next week and have a little chat with them about this. They seemed to listen as the Meosport R has a nice looking trim on it. I am hoping they will follow that with future models.

The Harrisburg, PA Great American Outdoors Show starts in 2 weeks (Feb 4-12).
Hope to get a deal on an Optika 5 while there.
I KNOW Euro Optics will be there.
Mayhaps Meopta themselves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back