Medicine Bow NF

N2TRKYS

I will be doing a diy rifle hunt there in WY. I've heard everything from it's heavy timber and can only see about a 100 or so yards to your best bet is to spot and stalk. If any of you have hunted it, would you mind shedding some light on that for me? You can PM me, if you had rather. Thanks.

It really depends on where the elk are, which depends on hunting pressure and weather. If they are in the heavy timber, and you can only see 100 yards, I would think that would be more of a spot and shoot. You just have to get out there and put boots on the ground and find the elk. I hunt just S of you on the CO side, and I have been seeing a lot of elk down low this year in the desert country for some reason. They just never left.

We hunt the med bow almost every year. Elk numbers are high, hunter numbers are high, but get away from the road and do some walking you will find elk. For the most part you will be hunting thick timber with lots and lots of dead fall. Depending on where you go plan on hunting the timber. I think my longest shot the last few years was like 75 yards. If you have questions just shoot me a PM. I will be more than happy to help.

The part I hunted is thick. I spooked most elk before I even saw them, kind of like trying to still hunt whitetails here at home. I eventually got a shot by setting up between 2 thickets and ambushing a cow as she passed from 1 to the other. The shot was about 15 yards.

The parks can be quite large with shots well over 100 yards. The timber can be thick with lots of downfall. Most of our elk come out of the parks and edges not the dark timber. Lots of people but with just a little walking elk can be found. Lots of atv road hunters and the elk know it. Usually get at least one snow to help with tracking them down. The whole Snowy Range is great elk country and numbers are high. You should do fine.

A few years back we rifle hunted there for Mulies. Hiked in and set up camp at just over 10,000 ft. Ross got on Elk immediately upon setting out for some scouting just as a storm was hitting. Temps plummeted overnight and everything in and out of my tent froze. Worse night I have had hunting. At that elevation, there was plenty of open basins with patches of timber and aspens. More bad weather was forecasted so we hiked back out and hunted at lower elevations. We were pretty green and a bit unprepared for such weather extremes (keep in mind we are Midwesterners with little experience at the time outside of what the Army and Afghanistan teaches you). That said, I would love to go back with a bow...I am far better equipped and a tiny bit smarter.

Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel a little better. This will be our first diy elk hunt. We would be tickled with any legal bull. Maybe we can get into them. Fingers crossed.

Lots of Deadfalls! Don't go in with super power rifle scope as you may be in dark timber. I shot a dandy muley at 300 yards but most elk were in dark timber, get away from trails as atv's will be allover that place. There is some nasty stuff that hunters don't go in, but it holds elk. Good luck.

Thanks guys. Already looking forward to planning out 2017-2018. WY is tricky. I read the heck out of these things and no where can I find the definition of "General Tag." If you are new at looking in WY's hunting process the term "General" can mean anything.

Cow Hunted unit 10 last fall ,great area ! lot of elk. Where I hunted 200 yards would be a long shot. 100 yards average.Never saw another hunter once I left camp. Plan on going back sometime.

Thanks guys. Already looking forward to planning out 2017-2018. WY is tricky. I read the heck out of these things and no where can I find the definition of "General Tag." If you are new at looking in WY's hunting process the term "General" can mean anything.

General means that it's over the counter for residents and it's a draw for nonresidents. That's the way I understand it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back