Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Meat slicers

Kaitum

Anyone with experience or suggestions on meat slicers? I've been thinking about adding one to my game processing arsenal for awhile. I've processed my own game for a long time, make lots of sausage / jerky / etc every year, but I have zero experience when it comes to slicers. Seems there's a pretty big gap between the cheaper, occasional use versions (that have marginal reviews) and the commercial versions that carry a more hefty price tag.

Last edited:
I have one of the cheaper, occasional use versions and it works pretty decent. One of the biggest drawbacks to using it is the clean up. I would use it way more often if cleaning it up wasn't such a pain.

As it is, it does work fairly well. I most commonly use if for making jerky. It is faster and more consistent to semi-freeze whole muscle groups and run them through the slicer than it is to cut them with a knife. I think I end up with a better end product that way for sure.

To clarify mine was a $99 jobby on sale for like $80 at Cabelas that they marketed as a "pro" model but I would consider it to be one of the cheaper, occasional use versions.

I'm not sad that I bought it, just don't use it as much as I thought I would.

I have one of the cheaper, occasional use versions and it works pretty decent. One of the biggest drawbacks to using it is the clean up. I would use it way more often if cleaning it up wasn't such a pain.

As it is, it does work fairly well. I most commonly use if for making jerky. It is faster and more consistent to semi-freeze whole muscle groups and run them through the slicer than it is to cut them with a knife. I think I end up with a better end product that way for sure.

To clarify mine was a $99 jobby on sale for like $80 at Cabelas that they marketed as a "pro" model but I would consider it to be one of the cheaper, occasional use versions.

I'm not sad that I bought it, just don't use it as much as I thought I would.

Have you ever tried to sharpen the blade? If so, was it a fairly straightforward process?

Have you ever tried to sharpen the blade? If so, was it a fairly straightforward process?

Nope. I haven't used it enough to need to sharpen it. It is serrated and I don't even know where I would start to try to sharpen it.

We just got a cheaper one. Right at the $80 mark if I remember. So far it works great. Made a batch of jerky and it sliced well. I see no reason to get the big fancy ones unless you're a butcher shop or process 100lbs of meat at a time.

I have a cheaper cabelas bend one, it only gets used 2-3 times a year but it works just fine for me.

We were walking through a Cabela's somewhere (they're a must stop when traveling anywhere) and found one of their slicers on sale. Normally $200 for half price. It's awesome. Great for making perfect jerky slices and slicing a bunch of salami when guests are coming. Adjusts way down for slicing thin roast beef and thick for making chops from a loin. Cheap ones lack power in the motor to slice harder or partially frozen items like roasts for jerky. Get one that has a bit more power to it than some $30 unit from Walmart. You'll like it better.

Keep watching Craigslist. I got a Hobart for 175.00 and can shave paper thin slices.

I bought one of the cheaper ones just for jerky. Used it last night for the first time and wasn’t impressed. I got the meat cut but it was a pain to clean. Had to take the thing apart to get the little bits out of machine.

I bought one of the cheaper ones just for jerky. Used it last night for the first time and wasn’t impressed. I got the meat cut but it was a pain to clean. Had to take the thing apart to get the little bits out of machine.
To properly clean ANY of them you will have to take them apart. Just like a grinder, stuffer, etc.

To properly clean ANY of them you will have to take them apart. Just like a grinder, stuffer, etc.
In this case I had to open the actual guts of the motor casing, take screws out, because I could tell small bits of meat were getting in there. It is a Weston too, a brand i associate with quality. I knew I was buying a cheap one, still figured it would be better.

can't read this title and NOT think of this scene from The Wrestler

I'm thinking about getting a weston slicer, the $90 one; N_8, was yours an anomaly? anyone else have issues with their weston and cleaning internal parts?

I have a Weston (id guess it was around $90) for about three years now. It does what I need it to do but the motor sounds to be grinding recently.

Back